2003 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Excellent choice
By brock69 on 02/17/12 13:09 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been an excellent van for my family. Bought new in 2002 and now has 150,000+ miles and counting. Wife now drives about 400 miles a week average and we've put very little money into it. Ours is the ES so it came with Sunroof, power doors & leather. We've used this vehicle for numerous trips across Country and in all types of weather with no issues. The only problems we continually have with it are a cd is jammed in the radio, water sloshes in the door wells which requires the drain to be cleaned, and the shocks squeak when it's cold. We've replaced the oil pan gasket and a few ignition coils but thats been it.

Good Mazda
By Budd Ditchendorf on 07/11/10 20:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this van with 62,000 miles on it in 2008 for a great price. Made me wonder if it was a lemon. We had to have a van and it was the right price especially compared to Toyotas and Hondas. This van has been a blessing! 25 ,000 miles later and it runs perfectly. Do all my own maintenance and the fluid levels are always spot on where they were before. Ours is decked out with all the modern options of 2003 and was way below the cost of comparable other vans. I would venture to say you must check this van out if you are in the market for a van. This seems to be a reliable used purchase flying below the radar thus a much more reasonable price.

Too Many Issues!
By poop on mazda! on 05/12/10 11:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Brought her brand new. 85k on it, rust all over, new brakes twice, still make noise, O2 heat coil bad, fuel pump replaced, relays bad, replaced, tires replaced 3 times. Very bad gas mileage. Definitely going back to Honda when she is gone.

A good reliable van!
By Doug on 04/05/10 20:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this van used in 2004 with 34k miles. Has been a great van. Two problems worth mentioning: The transmission has a rough shift from time to time. And I had some engine work done 2 years ago. Now I have 116k on it and no other complaints. Thinking of selling it due to my plan to take a long road trip this summer. Not sure. I would highly recommend this van. Handles like a car-better then any others I have driven. Has held it's value rather well.

loved this van
By jd on 03/05/10 11:35 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our MPV used with 50000 miles on it. We have not had any major problems other than a sensor on the gear shift went bad and the auto sliding doors quit working, cost 500 to fix. It was really nice on long trips and had plenty of power. In the winters we lost 4 mls per gallon and the check engine lite would come on, then in spring all would be fine. We had planned on keeping it for a long time till a kid ran a stop sign and hit the back fender of the van at 60 mph. We spun around a few times and hit a telephone pole. The van was a loss but my 6 yr old and i walked away with a few bumps. I hate to see it go and now my wife wants a volvo.....

Do Not Buy This Van!
By Christy on 09/15/09 09:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the worst experience I have ever had with a vehicle. Purchased used. One owner lease. Good price and had all I wanted. Well the engine started coughing. 2 coils replaced, transmission, fan cooling system, and then another enginge. That engine was coughing. Another lower mileage engine around 40,000 installed. Now that engine is coughing since it now has around 75,000 miles on it, the engine not odometer. New driver window motor, 4 o2 censons, and a new cadallidic converter. I have put more money in this van than its worth. Mazda is not coming clean on the engine problems and they should be recalled. Shame on you! Just paid off my van and can't afford another vehicle or more repairs!

Longtime Mazda buyer disappointed
By 2thebeach on 11/03/08 10:10 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned seven different Mazdas. All served me well except my 03 MPV ES. Problems are as follows. 41000 miles, recall for fan control module, PCV hose and fuel trim code correction. Also replaced a leaking crank seal. 42500 replaced #6 ignition coil and spark plug. 47500 replaced leaking oil pan gasket and coolant line leading to rear heat/ac. 84000 replaced coils #3 & #5 plus front sway bar links. Other problems during ownership include replacing over half of the exterior bulbs, considerable body rust around rear wheel wells and the paint finish flaking off of the alloy wheels! Sorry Mazda, I don't give second chances now that so many brands both foreign & domestic build quality cars.

not a happy camper
By david on 08/22/08 17:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Many problems - I'll never buy Mazda again - - oil leak started at 70000; dealer "fixed" but fix only lasted 30000 miles - manifold cracked - very noisy on startup - catalytic converter needed to be replaced at 125000 - replaced 2 coils at $200 a piece. This is not what I call reliability.

5 yrs & 50K miles
By Lynda Marie on 08/10/07 14:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new and still love the van. None of the problems some others on this site seem to have; just new tires, oil changes and recommended maint. Still getting 20 mpg in town and about 25-26 hwy. (Yes, I do drive it nicely - most of the time.) Excellent size for running around town and adequate storage space for trips.

One solid family mover
By X on 03/29/07 18:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this van new 3 years ago and 50K miles later we have had no problems. This is very refreshing after our last van, a 98 Windstar was one problem after another. Pick-up is adequate. It cruises down the highway very well.