Used 2003 Mazda MPV ES Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Excellent choice
By brock69

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been an excellent van for my family. Bought new in 2002 and now has 150,000+ miles and counting. Wife now drives about 400 miles a week average and we've put very little money into it. Ours is the ES so it came with Sunroof, power doors & leather. We've used this vehicle for numerous trips across Country and in all types of weather with no issues. The only problems we continually have with it are a cd is jammed in the radio, water sloshes in the door wells which requires the drain to be cleaned, and the shocks squeak when it's cold. We've replaced the oil pan gasket and a few ignition coils but thats been it.

Favorite Features

Pros: 23mpg/hwy at 80+mph, low overall repairs, seats 7 or 10 in a crunch, hide-away 3rd seat that also reclines and removable middle captains chairs. Cons: Seats 7 but back seat best for kids on trips longer than 2 hours, unable to tow, engine noise when hard accel, and transmission clunk with hard accel at hwy speed

Suggested Improvements

Bring this thing back. Not interested in SUV and nothing else in class compares with size. Liked the Mazda5 when it came out but styling got flighty.

Good Mazda
By Budd Ditchendorf

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this van with 62,000 miles on it in 2008 for a great price. Made me wonder if it was a lemon. We had to have a van and it was the right price especially compared to Toyotas and Hondas. This van has been a blessing! 25 ,000 miles later and it runs perfectly. Do all my own maintenance and the fluid levels are always spot on where they were before. Ours is decked out with all the modern options of 2003 and was way below the cost of comparable other vans. I would venture to say you must check this van out if you are in the market for a van. This seems to be a reliable used purchase flying below the radar thus a much more reasonable price.

Favorite Features

Compact size is not sacrificing much as long as you are seating children in the 3rd row. good family hauler. Power and milage is suitable. V-6 is 200 hp and 20 MPG. much less dorky looking than other minivans.

Suggested Improvements

Storage and design for driver seat is a little disappointing. DVD player is pain in the but to control for driver. improvements could make the experience better even though it comes with a remote control for the DVD.

Too Many Issues!
By poop on mazda!

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Brought her brand new. 85k on it, rust all over, new brakes twice, still make noise, O2 heat coil bad, fuel pump replaced, relays bad, replaced, tires replaced 3 times. Very bad gas mileage. Definitely going back to Honda when she is gone.

Favorite Features

roll down windows in rear, rear heat

Suggested Improvements

recall for rust and a whole lot of other problems.

A good reliable van!
By Doug

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this van used in 2004 with 34k miles. Has been a great van. Two problems worth mentioning: The transmission has a rough shift from time to time. And I had some engine work done 2 years ago. Now I have 116k on it and no other complaints. Thinking of selling it due to my plan to take a long road trip this summer. Not sure. I would highly recommend this van. Handles like a car-better then any others I have driven. Has held it's value rather well.

Favorite Features

Handling is my favorite feature. Also like that the windows in the sliding doors go down and the one passenger seat slides away from the other seat so that they can be a "bench".

Suggested Improvements

Fix transmission gremlins.

loved this van
By jd

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our MPV used with 50000 miles on it. We have not had any major problems other than a sensor on the gear shift went bad and the auto sliding doors quit working, cost 500 to fix. It was really nice on long trips and had plenty of power. In the winters we lost 4 mls per gallon and the check engine lite would come on, then in spring all would be fine. We had planned on keeping it for a long time till a kid ran a stop sign and hit the back fender of the van at 60 mph. We spun around a few times and hit a telephone pole. The van was a loss but my 6 yr old and i walked away with a few bumps. I hate to see it go and now my wife wants a volvo.....

Favorite Features

loved the leather seats, sunroof, power sliding doors with roll down windows and how safe it is

Suggested Improvements

less expensive tires and little better gas milage