2003 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Excellent choice
By brock69 on 02/17/12 13:09 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been an excellent van for my family. Bought new in 2002 and now has 150,000+ miles and counting. Wife now drives about 400 miles a week average and we've put very little money into it. Ours is the ES so it came with Sunroof, power doors & leather. We've used this vehicle for numerous trips across Country and in all types of weather with no issues. The only problems we continually have with it are a cd is jammed in the radio, water sloshes in the door wells which requires the drain to be cleaned, and the shocks squeak when it's cold. We've replaced the oil pan gasket and a few ignition coils but thats been it.

First and Last Mazda
By jacho59 on 07/14/11 16:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought our 2003 MPV new. It only has 60,000km on it but it has cost us a lot of money and time to keep it on the road. PCV hose, TCM and various 'little' unrelated things. The real pain is the dealer dings us $110Cdn every time they hook it up to the 'computer'. We bought this van because we thought Mazda was a reliable and durable brand. NOT SO. This is our first and last Mazda vehicle...

A great car
By redmuddler on 06/12/11 07:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our MPV new and it has been a great car. I like the exterior design and size. Honda and Toyota went bigger in 2003 leaving Mazda with this smaller size which is more agile and I think a sleeker design. The driving experience with this Mazda is surprising: it really is almost sporty, in any event very responsive. My only beef with this vehicle is the shifter sort of gets in the way of the controls on the dash board. Other than that, the moter runs like a top with enough power. At 74k miles now, the transmission seems like it might be acting differently, but no actual problems. After 8 years though I'm afraid my wife wants "something new" so I may look around. But a great car.

Well satisfied
By Anna Wells on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We moved into a mini-van when my 3rd child was born. 2 yrs old and 24,000 miles. 5 yrs later still driving it, has been on many vacations, have done only routine maintenance, and have replaced the tires once. The transmission may be going, but up until now, it has been very reliable and a great vehicle for my family.

Breakdown
By Ed Darnell on 08/21/10 14:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased vehicle new. Unresolved problems with automatic sliding doors (sometimes they work other times not) 68k miles, engine light on, transmission range switch inoperative, replaced at cost of $326. 70k pull off interstate for lunch car stalled in parking lot. Able to restart by depressing gas pedal to floor, but stalls when gear is engaged. Tow to dealer $87.50, two nights in motel awaiting part and repair $236.00, replace AJ57-18-84A water thermo switch, $178.

2003 MPV LX - Bought New
By Tommy C. on 08/16/10 21:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My MPV was bought new and now has 143K miles on it. It has had all the issues that others stated here. Check Engine light is a regular happening! Catalytic Converter issue that I will ignore until the end! Replaced the two common coils in front - water issue/design - stupid! Leaking rear AC antifreeze tubes - under warranty at 130K - thanks Mazda! Tubes were rusted gone! transmission issues - reprogrammed in 2004 and seems to be ok since. Rust around rear wheel wells AND bottom seals of front doors! Happened at 35K miles in beginning! Worst design - no power lock button on pass.side door! No dimmer over-ride to switch on inside lights after 10 Minutes! Ugh! AC is weak! Heater is weak.

Stay away from Multi Problem Vehicle
By Sam Paul on 08/10/10 19:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this used car at 103k miles & drove it for another 5k & the engine gave way. A spark plug popped out while the car was still running, just to learn that it had damaged the cylinder. I had to replace the hard to find & fix the engine for $2500.00. Burned my pocket to that extent that I will never buy a Mazda MPV (multi problem vehicle) Not at all a reliable vehicle. Very labor consuming when it comes to repair.

Good Mazda
By Budd Ditchendorf on 07/11/10 20:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this van with 62,000 miles on it in 2008 for a great price. Made me wonder if it was a lemon. We had to have a van and it was the right price especially compared to Toyotas and Hondas. This van has been a blessing! 25 ,000 miles later and it runs perfectly. Do all my own maintenance and the fluid levels are always spot on where they were before. Ours is decked out with all the modern options of 2003 and was way below the cost of comparable other vans. I would venture to say you must check this van out if you are in the market for a van. This seems to be a reliable used purchase flying below the radar thus a much more reasonable price.

Too Many Issues!
By poop on mazda! on 05/12/10 11:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Brought her brand new. 85k on it, rust all over, new brakes twice, still make noise, O2 heat coil bad, fuel pump replaced, relays bad, replaced, tires replaced 3 times. Very bad gas mileage. Definitely going back to Honda when she is gone.

A good reliable van!
By Doug on 04/05/10 20:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this van used in 2004 with 34k miles. Has been a great van. Two problems worth mentioning: The transmission has a rough shift from time to time. And I had some engine work done 2 years ago. Now I have 116k on it and no other complaints. Thinking of selling it due to my plan to take a long road trip this summer. Not sure. I would highly recommend this van. Handles like a car-better then any others I have driven. Has held it's value rather well.