Why did I buy this van?
By Mad Driver on
2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)
I have no idea why I bought this van. I think I fell for the tricks: fold down 3rd seat, removable 2nd row, roll down windows for the middle with both doors sliding. Back then, those were all new and some still haven't taken them on. But things went bad fast. I started having problems, but sadly let them sit til the warranty went, and then it all got way worse. Granted I drive a lot, but things were worse than imaginable, the brakes went bad in half the time they should have, the tires needed replaced an average of 20,000 miles earlier, and you can't do any engine maintenance yourself. Expensive parts, too.
Favorite Features
Interior design. Not as roomy inside as some others, but it's comfy. The windows rolling down in the middle and fold back 3rd seat are great and easy. I agree the middle seats are a bit heavy though. But it gets good mileage for it's size. Ran well for the first 20,000 miles.
Suggested Improvements
Changing the spark plugs will cost you $500 minimum, the alternator is $3000 and the only ones who can do it are the dealerships. Make it accessible, figure out why everything wears out so fast and change it up. If you can get a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty you'll be SO glad you did.