2002 Mazda MPV Consumer Review: My unreliable 2002 MPV

2002 Mazda MPV - Consumer Review

ES Passenger Minivan (3.0L V6 5-speed Automatic)

My unreliable 2002 MPV
By Nigel on

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My experience started with trading in my 2000 MPV, which had been reliable but underpowered, for the 2002. The tires went bald at 55k km (about 30k miles) and I had to pay lots for Turenza's with a 150k tread warranty. After the warranty expired lots of problems - front axle stabilizers both went during a road trip, hand brake cable ($250 to fix!), rear shocks, tranny cooler, 4 sets of front rotors, and finally the transmission linkage while it was getting serviced at the dealership!! Mileage was always poor for the 3L engine and tranny frequently banged while shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Reflashing the computer didn't help. Happy ending though - I got $3k trade in last week for a Matrix!

Drives like a sports car. When tranny in a good mood shifts smoothly like silk. Fold down back seats and removable middle seats give lots of hauling room. Air conditioning always worked well for the 6 1/2 years I had it. Always found Mazda service staff to be willing to go extra mile.

Better fuel economy. Better transmission. Better reliability.