Used 2002 Mazda MPV Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Could use some fine tuning
By JZA_459

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have had the van for about 9 months now with no real issues. I was looking more for an SUV but my wife fell in love with the roll down rear passenger windows, and power opening rear passenger doors. Also, it was easy enough to get the overhead DVD system in even with the large moonroof.

Favorite Features

Power rear doors, large sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

We would have bought a new one but the body has had no major redesign nor has the interior so why buy new when there really is nothing new about it. Why is there no remote start or heated leather? Dose it not get cold in Japan, do the not have leather in Japan, what gives?

Horror!
By zpg

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Premature and/or repeated problems: coils, pcv valve, fan control module, transmission, radiator, motor mounts, window motor, rust

Favorite Features

good size.

Suggested Improvements

already undertook by Mazda: discontinuation

My unreliable 2002 MPV
By Nigel

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My experience started with trading in my 2000 MPV, which had been reliable but underpowered, for the 2002. The tires went bald at 55k km (about 30k miles) and I had to pay lots for Turenza's with a 150k tread warranty. After the warranty expired lots of problems - front axle stabilizers both went during a road trip, hand brake cable ($250 to fix!), rear shocks, tranny cooler, 4 sets of front rotors, and finally the transmission linkage while it was getting serviced at the dealership!! Mileage was always poor for the 3L engine and tranny frequently banged while shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Reflashing the computer didn't help. Happy ending though - I got $3k trade in last week for a Matrix!

Favorite Features

Drives like a sports car. When tranny in a good mood shifts smoothly like silk. Fold down back seats and removable middle seats give lots of hauling room. Air conditioning always worked well for the 6 1/2 years I had it. Always found Mazda service staff to be willing to go extra mile.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy. Better transmission. Better reliability.

Too many mechanical problems
By Jim

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 3.0l engine and 5 speed gives the MPV a great drive. Fit and finish is good. But at 60,000 miles I have needed to replace ignition coils, have had numerous transmission problems and underside of the hood has rusted into swiss cheese. My MPV also seems to wreck rear tires, has a small coolant leak and the door locks don't work anymore. Exhaust fell apart at 40,000 miles. I expect to have problems with an older vehicle, but have never had problems like this with anything I've ever owned before. I love the car, but not as much as my mechanic.

Favorite Features

Performance: Engine is powerful, transmission is good when working properly. Nimble handling for a minivan.

Suggested Improvements

Vehicle is no longer manufactured. Watch out for the coils on this 3.0 engine and stay away from this transmission.

I Can't Complain
By wiz8mom

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our MPV used in 2005 with about 45,000 miles on it. With an extended warranty, we paid total about $11,000. It now has 227,000 miles on it (365,000km). We had to have the transmission replaced at 95K miles, but it was covered under our extended warranty. We had coils replaced at one point, and a couple of other repairs around the $300 mark. Regular oil changes and routine maintenance (brakes, trans. fluid, etc), this van has kept chugging along. Along with daily driving, we drove from Auburn, WA to B.C. Canada twice a week for 2 years (6 hours round trip), while hauling 2 drums, harnesses, 2 sets of bagpipes, and 4 teenagers, 2 adults. We averaged 22-24 hwy mpg

Favorite Features

Handles well, drives like a car. Always felt zippy and had good power. Good fuel efficiency for a minivan (mine, anyway). Love the fold down 3rd row seat.

Suggested Improvements

Seating could be a little more comfortable/cushy. After long hours in the van, tushes tend to get tired.