Used 2002 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Could use some fine tuning
By JZA_459

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have had the van for about 9 months now with no real issues. I was looking more for an SUV but my wife fell in love with the roll down rear passenger windows, and power opening rear passenger doors. Also, it was easy enough to get the overhead DVD system in even with the large moonroof.

Power rear doors, large sunroof.

We would have bought a new one but the body has had no major redesign nor has the interior so why buy new when there really is nothing new about it. Why is there no remote start or heated leather? Dose it not get cold in Japan, do the not have leather in Japan, what gives?

Great value and fun to drive
By Jeff Linihan

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

When we finally decided that we needed a minivan we decided to purchase a MPV. We had a positive rental experience with the Mazda on a trip to DC. My wife loves the size. I like the way it drives. Not to mention that we paid less than $21k for a LX with rear air, 6 disc changer and roof rack. We have put 70k miles on the van and we bought it new 4/02. The only trips to the dealer was for the check engine light (wife left the gas cap off). No transmission problems here. We have taken the MPV on several 8 to 11 hour trips to the beach with all of our gear with no complaints about comfort. We are currently kicking around the idea of buying another MPV from the same dealer this spring.

Price and size. We bought our MPV about 2 weeks after a buddy of mine bought a Honda with the same equipment. He said I can't believe you wouldn't spend a couple thousand extra and get the bigger Honda. Price difference $6,000. His wife backed their "bigger" van into a pole a week later.

Our only beef is with the shifter blocking the radio controls.

Surprisingly Disappointed
By Amy

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my MPV 12/02 after my 2nd child was born for easier entry & exit than my Jeep Cherokee, and more passenger room. After much research on minivans, I decided I wanted (but could not afford) a Honda Odyssey. The MPV ran a close 2nd. The first year of owning it was good. Things went down hill after that. The Dunlop tires that came on it were bald after less than 28K miles. It's been in for mechanical repairs & recalls more than any other vehicle I've ever owned (Chevy, Ford, Jeep). It's in now for another $400-500 repair after I just replaced the tires. After 3 years of ownership, I'm sad to say, it has not been as reliable as I thought it would. Style & comfort good. Reliability, not good.

Converting quad/bench middle seat, fold flat rear seats, roll down rear windows, power driver seat, radio/CD controls on steering wheel, keyless entry, 16" tires/alloy, foglights, rear wiper, GFX package for sporty look.

Better engine quality and reliability, longer lasting tires (give us at least 45K), better warranty (mine expired right when I needed it most). Special Note: My dealer service department has been great, not their fault product bites.

MPV: Makes the Most Sense
By BRANDON CHASE

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my MPV nearly a year ago and have not been disappointed in any way. Whenever I see shoppers at home improvement stores trying to stuff items into SUVS that would easily fit in my MPV, I load up a ROOM of furniture just for kicks. Whenever I am able to park in grass by climbing over curbs when others can't find a parking spot, I pat myself on the back. Whenever I switch on my theater-quality 10-speaker (including subwoofer) 6-CD sound system, I dance. Whenever I crank up the AC on a hot summer day or roll down the REAR windows for the kids, I sneer at the sad offspring in the backseats of other minivans who can't roll down theirs. In short, my MPV makes me feel very good.

3.0 V-6 engine, 5-star crash test rating, leather seats, premium sound, dual power sliding doors (standard for '02) six CD changer, power rear and front windows, tumble under rear seat, good looks, removable side-by-slide 2nd row seats, storage, cup holders, visibility, traction control.

Hmm. It has impressed me as the perfect minivan. A power tailgate might be nice.

Great car
By Peter

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

It's a great choice for people who are looking for a small minivan. Definitely many notches more practical than most SUVs. Use it to transport people & large items. Fuel economy is pretty good.

Maneuverability. Stow away 3rd row seat and foldable/removable 2nd row seat.