Used 2002 Mazda MPV Minivan Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

02 Mazda MPV LX with GFX Package
By Amy

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I did extensive research before purchasing my MPV and found the MPV to be the best price with the most standard and unique features. At the time, Odyssey was the only other minivan with tumble flat rear seats, and the MPV had the unique feature of rolldown rear windows. I liked the look (very sporty) and the motto ("body of a minivan, soul of a sports car"). I still love all these things, but have been disappointed with the reliability. I have it serviced regularly at my local dealer, yet it has been in the shop for repairs at least 6 times since I bought it. 3 weeks ago, it left me stranded with my 2 small children in the car. It's also been in for 2 recalls and my tires wore out at 28k miles.

Fold flat rear seats, sliding middle bucket to bench seat, rolling rear windows, good looks, it's still the best looking minivan out there.

Longer lasting tires instead of high performance ones, gear shift design that does not block radio controls, investigate sulfur smell that sometimes comes from exhaust, better reliability, did not enjoy sitting in the heat (100 in GA) waiting on the tow truck with 4 & 6 year olds, better gas mileage.

We like our 2002 MPV
By Don

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car for unusual reasons: it would fit in our garage (was shorter than most minivans), a 6 footer could fully lay out on the floor in back of the first row seats, and the mileage rating was pretty good. It has more than met our needs, and we regularly get 21-22 mpg at 70-80 mph on trips, and not too much less in city driving.

Now that we have had the car, it has much exceeded expectations. It is reliable, fun to drive, very comfortable, and useful in all the situations that one can imagine using it: stylish to camping. The flip-down back seat works well, and my wife can even remove/replace the middle seats.

Middle seats could be just a bit lighter.

Sportscar of Minivans
By Eileen Gallagher

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have been driving this great little minivan for the last 2.5 yrs. Excellent for kids, roadtrips, hauling stuff. Drives beautifully: smooth, good pick-up (even on steep mountain passes), nice ride, and really can corner on those curves. Plenty of room for 6'4" son and many more. Very dependable mechanically, no big repair disasters like other vehicles I have owned. Probably the nicest car I've ever had.

Drives well in snow. Dependable. Doesn't feel or look like "mom's minivan."

Well ... there is that gearshift. Oddly placed.

Fun but Unreliable
By Zach

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Lack of reliability has been the biggest disappointment with this vehicle. Tires were bald before the warranty expired. Within a year after warranty expired, oxygen sensors had to be replaced ($500) and engine coils had to be replaced (another $500). My sister-in-law has the exact same make/model/year, and she's had the same problems--it's like clockwork. It also emits a stinky sulfur smell immediately after turning off. At least it's purty and comfy and fun to drive.

Fold down and removable rear seats. Captain's chairs. Styling.

Get the gear shift out of the way so I can tune the stereo. Nix the noxious sulfur odor. Cure the reliability issues.

I like it
By 2002maazda mpv ex

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like the handling, acceleration, and comfort of my Mazda van.

Easy to park and get my wheelchair-using wife into.

I don't like the idea of the spare tire under the 2nd row passenger seat.