2002 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Could use some fine tuning
By JZA_459 on 01/07/06 11:30 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have had the van for about 9 months now with no real issues. I was looking more for an SUV but my wife fell in love with the roll down rear passenger windows, and power opening rear passenger doors. Also, it was easy enough to get the overhead DVD system in even with the large moonroof.

Great value and fun to drive
By Jeff Linihan on 01/01/06 12:32 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

When we finally decided that we needed a minivan we decided to purchase a MPV. We had a positive rental experience with the Mazda on a trip to DC. My wife loves the size. I like the way it drives. Not to mention that we paid less than $21k for a LX with rear air, 6 disc changer and roof rack. We have put 70k miles on the van and we bought it new 4/02. The only trips to the dealer was for the check engine light (wife left the gas cap off). No transmission problems here. We have taken the MPV on several 8 to 11 hour trips to the beach with all of our gear with no complaints about comfort. We are currently kicking around the idea of buying another MPV from the same dealer this spring.

Surprisingly Disappointed
By Amy on 12/28/05 14:06 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my MPV 12/02 after my 2nd child was born for easier entry & exit than my Jeep Cherokee, and more passenger room. After much research on minivans, I decided I wanted (but could not afford) a Honda Odyssey. The MPV ran a close 2nd. The first year of owning it was good. Things went down hill after that. The Dunlop tires that came on it were bald after less than 28K miles. It's been in for mechanical repairs & recalls more than any other vehicle I've ever owned (Chevy, Ford, Jeep). It's in now for another $400-500 repair after I just replaced the tires. After 3 years of ownership, I'm sad to say, it has not been as reliable as I thought it would. Style & comfort good. Reliability, not good.

MPV: Makes the Most Sense
By BRANDON CHASE on 08/28/05 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my MPV nearly a year ago and have not been disappointed in any way. Whenever I see shoppers at home improvement stores trying to stuff items into SUVS that would easily fit in my MPV, I load up a ROOM of furniture just for kicks. Whenever I am able to park in grass by climbing over curbs when others can't find a parking spot, I pat myself on the back. Whenever I switch on my theater-quality 10-speaker (including subwoofer) 6-CD sound system, I dance. Whenever I crank up the AC on a hot summer day or roll down the REAR windows for the kids, I sneer at the sad offspring in the backseats of other minivans who can't roll down theirs. In short, my MPV makes me feel very good.

Great car
By Peter on 08/25/05 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

It's a great choice for people who are looking for a small minivan. Definitely many notches more practical than most SUVs. Use it to transport people & large items. Fuel economy is pretty good.

Much More Than I Expected
By LoveMyMPV on 07/03/05 12:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I started out loathing all mom-mobile minivans but this Mazda MPV ES has changed all that. Quick, nimble, comfortable and economical (29-30mpg @ 60mph), I don't really miss my Mercedes. The ES model is comfortable to drive on long trips and the upscale radio pulls in more stations than my Mercedes ever did. The power sliding doors and fold-under 3rd seat are extremely convenient, as are the slide-together 2nd row seats (make them a single bench or 2 buckets). There's always enough power on tap, especially off the line, and passing power seems more than adequate. It's size makes it ideal for fitting in a garage with room to spare. All-in-all, I'd buy it again.

2002 MPV is OK
By Nigel Chubb on 06/16/05 15:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Has been reliable and fun to drive. The five speed transmission sometimes bangs audibly between 1->2 and 2->3, especially after braking and then accelerating. I'm worried about what this might mean we keep it past the warranty period. The rotors went at 18,000 km but replaced under warranty. The Dunlop tires it came with wore out way too fast - before 48,000 km for the first set and the second set almost done at 56,000 km now. Dealership would not compensate, Dunlop would not answer my emails to discuss. Otherwise service very good at Mazda dealers - due to job changes and moves I've used three different ones regularly.

Great used buy
By bjones440 on 05/11/05 20:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased an '02 ES model used late in '03. This seemed like the best used buy if you are not too concerned with interior space, because it is smaller than most. Has the most bang for the buck for a highly rated import with power sliding doors. Drives and handles superb for a minivan. Seats seem a little narrow, but I got used to them. Unfortunately the ignition coil went out twice on different cylinders while under warranty, so the dealer replaced the coils and plugs on all 6 cylinders. That was in March '04, no other problems. Stock tires seem to wear quickly, as I noticed on most other used MPVs. I just replaced mine at 58k with Michelin Hydroedge. Very limited choice on this size tire.

Mazda MPV
By indricothere on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an 02 MPV and I thouroughly love it. Very nice styling,it is just the right size for kids. It drives and feels like a car, and is much more responsive than dodge,ford, chevrolet. It also is a good used deal, not as expensive as the pricier Honda, and Toyota with comparible options. The optional sliding doors have been perfect and very convient. The ES is nice with leather. I was most impressed with the second row seating options. I never thought I would enjoy a minvan however, I love this one.

FUN to drive but at a cost
By jamesandlisa on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased fully loaded and with ground effects package. True to the advertising, the MPV is FUN to drive with quick acceleration and excellent cornering. Plus, for a mini-van this just looks great! Great compromise between sporty car and mini-van. Drinks A LOT of fuel but I knew that beforehand based on MPG ratings. Smaller size makes it easy to park and u-turn; however, interior gets tight very quickly for people over 5'10" tall! Definitely NOT roomy.. especially if add a baby seat. Overall, I would definitely buy it again!