2002 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Why did I buy this van?
By Mad Driver on 07/12/07 22:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have no idea why I bought this van. I think I fell for the tricks: fold down 3rd seat, removable 2nd row, roll down windows for the middle with both doors sliding. Back then, those were all new and some still haven't taken them on. But things went bad fast. I started having problems, but sadly let them sit til the warranty went, and then it all got way worse. Granted I drive a lot, but things were worse than imaginable, the brakes went bad in half the time they should have, the tires needed replaced an average of 20,000 miles earlier, and you can't do any engine maintenance yourself. Expensive parts, too.

MPV LX
By mfenrn on 12/06/06 03:41 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my Camry in to buy "a van" because of my ailing father who required an electric wheel chair. It was a purely practical decision based on needs and good reviews. Little did I know how much use I was about to get from it with the upcoming hurricane season! It hauled all the plywood and related supplies needed with ease. It also accommodated the 7 foot collapsible ramps and Jet Three wheel chair for Dad, still allowing room for luggage and extra passengers. I fell in love with this car/van. It drives and rides like a car, looks nicer than any other van (my opinion), handles beautifully! My only complaint rests with the transmission, which sometimes "revs" when you accelerate.

Wouldn't be without my Zoom Zoom
By Dwadon on 09/23/06 17:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Awesome van. Owned a Chevy Montana prior to my MPV and have never looked back. Have 2 teens & 2 dogs and this van suits us just fine - gas mileage reasonable as well.

My Unreliable Mazda
By Joe on 09/22/06 20:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has given us nothing but problems. We have 47,000 miles and the warranty is out. Repairs: we have already had the transmission replaced (we do not own a boat or tow anything except the 2 kids). It took the dealership 3 weeks to get a new transmission because they were on backorder. Mazda paid 1 week on the rental but I was responsible and out of pocket for 2 weeks. The power sliding doors don't work and the dealership can't figure out the problem or take responsibility. The electronic coil on valve #3 went out and Mazda would do nothing to back up the product (cost $500 to replace coils on valve #1, 3, and 5). This was my 3rd Mazda product and now is my LAST.

Not real happy with it
By Derrick Petree on 09/02/06 11:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We should had gone with the Honda. At first it was a great van. Then we had an overheating problem. That had it in the shop 5 times. We had to take it back 3 times for the same recall. Then at 60,578 the transmission went out. Just after the warranty went out. Dealer won't fix because we 578 over on miles. Cost us $2400 to fix. Poor gas mileage about 18 hwy, 15 city.

02 Mazda MPV LX with GFX Package
By Amy on 08/22/06 08:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I did extensive research before purchasing my MPV and found the MPV to be the best price with the most standard and unique features. At the time, Odyssey was the only other minivan with tumble flat rear seats, and the MPV had the unique feature of rolldown rear windows. I liked the look (very sporty) and the motto ("body of a minivan, soul of a sports car"). I still love all these things, but have been disappointed with the reliability. I have it serviced regularly at my local dealer, yet it has been in the shop for repairs at least 6 times since I bought it. 3 weeks ago, it left me stranded with my 2 small children in the car. It's also been in for 2 recalls and my tires wore out at 28k miles.

We like our 2002 MPV
By Don on 04/28/06 13:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car for unusual reasons: it would fit in our garage (was shorter than most minivans), a 6 footer could fully lay out on the floor in back of the first row seats, and the mileage rating was pretty good. It has more than met our needs, and we regularly get 21-22 mpg at 70-80 mph on trips, and not too much less in city driving.

Sportscar of Minivans
By Eileen Gallagher on 04/11/06 03:05 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have been driving this great little minivan for the last 2.5 yrs. Excellent for kids, roadtrips, hauling stuff. Drives beautifully: smooth, good pick-up (even on steep mountain passes), nice ride, and really can corner on those curves. Plenty of room for 6'4" son and many more. Very dependable mechanically, no big repair disasters like other vehicles I have owned. Probably the nicest car I've ever had.

Fun but Unreliable
By Zach on 04/07/06 05:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Lack of reliability has been the biggest disappointment with this vehicle. Tires were bald before the warranty expired. Within a year after warranty expired, oxygen sensors had to be replaced ($500) and engine coils had to be replaced (another $500). My sister-in-law has the exact same make/model/year, and she's had the same problems--it's like clockwork. It also emits a stinky sulfur smell immediately after turning off. At least it's purty and comfy and fun to drive.

I like it
By 2002maazda mpv ex on 01/13/06 12:20 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like the handling, acceleration, and comfort of my Mazda van.