Used 2002 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda MPV

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Buyer Beware of Mazda
By turpster

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned 2 Mazdas and probably will not again. Neither were vere good. The MPV at 35,000mi. needed the transmission flushed which was not a Mazda recommended service. The Mazda rep said even though the flush wasn't listed in the manual they recommended it be done or the warranty would be voided. 50,000mi. PCV hose replaced under warranty. The vehicle had always seemed not to run smoothly before and after hose replacement. The transmission is a myriad of issues in how it operates and its quirks. The final was the new hose failing again and something else causing the motor to run very rough and at half power. At "68,900mi." we clunkered it for a Honda. How about that for value retention?

Handled good for a van

Add or invest about $2,000 worth of improvement to build improvement and materials. Maybe then it will compete with Honda and Toyota

Vehicle is over 7yrs old, with 166600
By M. Kontny

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Mazda MPV Mini Van in 2005 and now it has 166,000 miles on it. I have had no major problems with my van, the only draw back is that the vehicle is starting to show rust in certain areas. I live in Wisconsin and we had a pretty harsh winter last year so there was plenty of salt to do the damage it has done to my vehicle. Otherwise, it still runs like a charm, do regular maintenance on it, replace tires once now they need to be replaced again. Air conditioner isn't working, need to have that checked. Rear heat isn't functioning due to the fact that the piping that runs within the rear wheel well has rotted out. Will have to fix this also. But overall, I really like the Mini Van.

Find a better way to route the rear heating and A/C antifreeze and freon, stupid to run it in the rear wheel well where you know that its going to corrode causing expensive repair.

was in love for six years; now betrayed!
By sofla

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely have loved this vehicle until this week. Bought it new off the lot, invested in all the recommended maintenance. So easy to handle, with a sportier look than most mom-vans. I have loved its versatility; it has been spacious enough inside for 2 kids and a dog on many 1,000-mile round trips. No problems, but last week stopped cold in the middle of a busy road. Two dealers haven't been able to isolate the problem, but we're getting a new (refurbished) $3,000 engine. Thought it was the coil, but replacing that didn't help. Now I don't trust that it won't do the same thing to me somewhere else! Really thought doing so much preventive maintenance would put us better off than this

The back storage area is really deep, even with all seats up and functional. Love the handling, easy to corner and dependable when you need to gun it. Love that when all seats are out, it's so roomy, and even just letting the back seat down gives you lots of room to carry stuff from Home Depot!

Others are right about the gear shift; it's in the way. Would have been helpful to have rear heat sometimes, but the rear air controls are really nice for kids

Completely Happy
By Alvin

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I wanted a minivan that wasn't so bulky, with 3RD row stow away seats, and something with decent power under the hood. The 3.0L motor is both powerful and smooth. You forget it's a minivan you're driving. The 5 speed automatic makes a world of difference on the freeway and we've found it to be smooth on shifts. We have 118,000 miles, and so far so good. We were going to buy a Honda, but after research, they had just as many complaints from its customers and was bigger than we liked

Smaller, less bulky, fits in garage with room to spare. Third row stow away seats, 2nd row sliding door windows roll down. Smooth and powerful 3.0L engine. 5speed transmission(knock on wood). Car like feel. Safety features such as ABS, side air bags, very good front and side impact rating.

overall exterior design could be better, especially the rear end. Radio is down right awful(worst part about the car in my opinion.)Placement of shifter when in drive.

My unreliable 2002 MPV
By Nigel

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My experience started with trading in my 2000 MPV, which had been reliable but underpowered, for the 2002. The tires went bald at 55k km (about 30k miles) and I had to pay lots for Turenza's with a 150k tread warranty. After the warranty expired lots of problems - front axle stabilizers both went during a road trip, hand brake cable ($250 to fix!), rear shocks, tranny cooler, 4 sets of front rotors, and finally the transmission linkage while it was getting serviced at the dealership!! Mileage was always poor for the 3L engine and tranny frequently banged while shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Reflashing the computer didn't help. Happy ending though - I got $3k trade in last week for a Matrix!

Drives like a sports car. When tranny in a good mood shifts smoothly like silk. Fold down back seats and removable middle seats give lots of hauling room. Air conditioning always worked well for the 6 1/2 years I had it. Always found Mazda service staff to be willing to go extra mile.

Better fuel economy. Better transmission. Better reliability.