Used 2002 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda MPV

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Decent family van
By Andrea

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've enjoyed the benefits of this smaller-sized van. Our family fills it, but it has met our needs. With wise packing and a rooftop carrier, we can carry whatever we need. Ours has about 115 k miles on it, and ran well until about a year ago. We have spent quite a bit of money on repairs recently, and the "check engine" light continues to indicate a problem. I think it is nearly time to replace it, but it has served us well.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, easy to maneuver and fits into small parking spots, auto side doors, leather seats, sliding center seat

Suggested Improvements

Gear shift location, can't control rear temperature in the front, long-term reliability

Too many mechanical problems
By Jim

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 3.0l engine and 5 speed gives the MPV a great drive. Fit and finish is good. But at 60,000 miles I have needed to replace ignition coils, have had numerous transmission problems and underside of the hood has rusted into swiss cheese. My MPV also seems to wreck rear tires, has a small coolant leak and the door locks don't work anymore. Exhaust fell apart at 40,000 miles. I expect to have problems with an older vehicle, but have never had problems like this with anything I've ever owned before. I love the car, but not as much as my mechanic.

Favorite Features

Performance: Engine is powerful, transmission is good when working properly. Nimble handling for a minivan.

Suggested Improvements

Vehicle is no longer manufactured. Watch out for the coils on this 3.0 engine and stay away from this transmission.

One of the worst
By zzz

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Shocked to see average consumer rating is 8.8. One if the worst ever owned. People must not own this vehicle for long, or drive it very much, otherwise how could you not have these persistent problems: coils, pcv hoses, fan control modules (all these have failed multiple times, some even after the recall work). Lesser frequent problem: tranny totally quit, front stabilizer links, control arms, wheel bearing, coolant reservoir cracked, intake bellow gone bad (too lean CEL), O2 sensor, catalytic converter below threshold, driver side window motor, flex pipe leak, rust everywhere. All these problems happened on an MPV bought new and religiously maintained.

Favorite Features

Decent performance

Suggested Improvements

Mazda should stand behind its product. Mazda is wise to withdraw it, as it's a reputation wrecker.

Good value
By Nick072261

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife & I purchased this mini-van with 12,000 and we now have 66,000 miles on this vehicle. Initial problems included the Shift Solenoid for the transmission, oil gasket and seals around timing chain case cover were replaced and a noise with the fan was fixed. All work was covered under the warranty. We have put on 40,000 miles since our problems without any other issues. The car has a V6 dohc Ford American made engine that was used in the Taurus. Funny thing is our problems were all related to the Japanese parts - go figure! Anyway, I would consider buying another if they were still being made. We plan to keep this car until it dies (hopefully not anytime soon)!

Favorite Features

Windows on back doors go up and down - feature not found on other mini vans. Seating for 7 with decent cargo. Setting for 4 gives excellent cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Gear shift too long and interferes with dash controls. Interior plastic door panels are cracked on both sides - needs quality improvement in the plastic parts.

$500.00+ for 6 spark plugs/tune up
By no more mazdas 4me

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission went out at 50,100 miles during my stay in Dallas after evacuating hurricane katrina. Mazda paid about 45%. I have no boat, have not pulled anything, just three small kids then. The coil packs that replaced the spark plug wires are terrible. If you have a problem with any of the back 3 cylinders bend over!!! Tires seem to wear very fast, though evenly, on the potholes of New Orleans streets. I see I am not alone with these problems.

Favorite Features

Rides like a car! Seating options and sporty look for a van. Many people thought it was a suv on first glance.

Suggested Improvements

Discount to all owners on next Mazda.