2002 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Buyer Beware of Mazda
By turpster on 08/29/09 20:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned 2 Mazdas and probably will not again. Neither were vere good. The MPV at 35,000mi. needed the transmission flushed which was not a Mazda recommended service. The Mazda rep said even though the flush wasn't listed in the manual they recommended it be done or the warranty would be voided. 50,000mi. PCV hose replaced under warranty. The vehicle had always seemed not to run smoothly before and after hose replacement. The transmission is a myriad of issues in how it operates and its quirks. The final was the new hose failing again and something else causing the motor to run very rough and at half power. At "68,900mi." we clunkered it for a Honda. How about that for value retention?

Vehicle is over 7yrs old, with 166600
By M. Kontny on 07/12/09 09:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Mazda MPV Mini Van in 2005 and now it has 166,000 miles on it. I have had no major problems with my van, the only draw back is that the vehicle is starting to show rust in certain areas. I live in Wisconsin and we had a pretty harsh winter last year so there was plenty of salt to do the damage it has done to my vehicle. Otherwise, it still runs like a charm, do regular maintenance on it, replace tires once now they need to be replaced again. Air conditioner isn't working, need to have that checked. Rear heat isn't functioning due to the fact that the piping that runs within the rear wheel well has rotted out. Will have to fix this also. But overall, I really like the Mini Van.

was in love for six years; now betrayed!
By sofla on 04/07/09 10:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely have loved this vehicle until this week. Bought it new off the lot, invested in all the recommended maintenance. So easy to handle, with a sportier look than most mom-vans. I have loved its versatility; it has been spacious enough inside for 2 kids and a dog on many 1,000-mile round trips. No problems, but last week stopped cold in the middle of a busy road. Two dealers haven't been able to isolate the problem, but we're getting a new (refurbished) $3,000 engine. Thought it was the coil, but replacing that didn't help. Now I don't trust that it won't do the same thing to me somewhere else! Really thought doing so much preventive maintenance would put us better off than this

Completely Happy
By Alvin on 03/21/09 11:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I wanted a minivan that wasn't so bulky, with 3RD row stow away seats, and something with decent power under the hood. The 3.0L motor is both powerful and smooth. You forget it's a minivan you're driving. The 5 speed automatic makes a world of difference on the freeway and we've found it to be smooth on shifts. We have 118,000 miles, and so far so good. We were going to buy a Honda, but after research, they had just as many complaints from its customers and was bigger than we liked

My unreliable 2002 MPV
By Nigel on 01/10/09 08:42 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My experience started with trading in my 2000 MPV, which had been reliable but underpowered, for the 2002. The tires went bald at 55k km (about 30k miles) and I had to pay lots for Turenza's with a 150k tread warranty. After the warranty expired lots of problems - front axle stabilizers both went during a road trip, hand brake cable ($250 to fix!), rear shocks, tranny cooler, 4 sets of front rotors, and finally the transmission linkage while it was getting serviced at the dealership!! Mileage was always poor for the 3L engine and tranny frequently banged while shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Reflashing the computer didn't help. Happy ending though - I got $3k trade in last week for a Matrix!

Be careful!!
By Ian on 11/28/08 21:23 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Many, many problems! A lot of what I've already read - Ignition coils (all 6), sliding door - sticks and doesn't operate properly, and now the tranny - it's in the shop right now. I actually have filled almost 10 pages of a notebook because our experience has been so surreal. I even bought the extended Mazda Canada warranty, only to find out time and time again that nothing was covered.

Nice design, poor execution
By NicoleNSteve on 09/25/08 18:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The MPV is comfortable, and very plush for a mini-van. Power doors in rear, windows that lower on both back doors, leather throughout, and a nice sound system. This is the second MPV we purchased brand new from dealer. And the second that has required a new transmission at about 40K. Mazda helped us the first time,after much pushiness on our part, but refused on the second. Maybe they figure we should have learned our lesson? It's too bad. It drives well, and the only other serious complaint is lousy mileage. But no more Mazdas for us.

Disappointing Mazda
By Donna Roque on 03/27/08 16:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I purchased this minivan used with 40,000 miles on it. It was our first mini van. It is fully loaded with all the features we wanted. The first year was fine with no problems. Since the summer of 2007 we have been to the dealership (not where we purchased it) at least 6 times or more for repairs. We have 2 kids and having to go back and forth for repairs is a real inconvenience. Our main problems have been faulty ignition coils, idle control valve and an oil pan seal gasket. Lucky for us we purchased an extended warranty which has covered about two thirds of our costs thus far. This is the first vehicle that we have ever owned that has given us this much trouble.

MPV
By jjdsng on 02/09/08 15:21 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Good fun and dependable with lots of features and great family use, and lots of fun driving it

I love my MPV, but...
By Caroline on 01/12/08 04:23 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2002 MPV for almost 5.5 years now. In that time, I've have no problems with it at all. The only times it's been in the shop are for routine maintenance. But, 2 days ago, the transmission died on me while driving on a highway and here's the kicker - it only has 34,845 miles on it!