Used 2002 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

A Van That Feels Like a Car
By marc9595

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought an MPV in 2001. In 2002, we were in an accident and the van was totaled. Nobody was hurt. Because of its safety record and our pleasurable driving experience with the MPV, we replace the totaled MPV w/ a 2002 MPV. We have almost 30,000 miles on the van and have had no difficulties with it at all. Gas mileage has ranged from 18 around town to as high as 29 on the highway. The MPV is a bit smaller than most vans, but I would recommend it if you have a smaller family. It probably wouldn't be as useful to us if we had for teenagers for example.

Favorite Features

Rear fold-down seat. Rear roll-down windows. Rear A/C 200 hp V6 engine.

Suggested Improvements

I think that Mazda should add an automatic door lock button on the passenger side. Right now, the only one is on the driver side.

Noldan's review
By C Noldan

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mazda's 2002MPV has been a real joy to own. I have never driven a more comfortable (seating) car. It handles as well as or better than any car I have owned. Because of my husband's handicap, I purchased this vehicle (the way the rear seat drops down into the rear well) to store his wheelchair. I certainly will purchase a Mazda the next time around.

Favorite Features

The bucket seats. Most comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical rear seat to fold into well. Also, a longer driver's seat belt. Some of us are short and move our seats way forward therefore, need extra length.

Good for Us
By Paul E Oakes

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the right size for us. We appreciate the roominess and versatility of this size vehicle. We enjoyed '95 and '98 Honda Odyssey but Odysseys got too large. Glad Mazda was there with this size van.

Favorite Features

Fold down third seat. Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Shorter shift stick. Remote side mirror control would be better on door.

zoom zoom zoom back to the service dept.
By bamaengineer

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been disappointed by the performance of the 02 MPV so far. To start with, I have been in for warranted repairs three times with only 20k miles: Idler problem, Check engine light, and rattling sliding doors. They still haven't fixed the sliding doors. The style and handling are great, but I hate to think what will happen when the warranty is over.

Favorite Features

Stylish exterior. Rolldown windows, rear fold-down seat.

Suggested Improvements

Better ergonomics- including: A gear shifter that doesn't block the radio/panel, steering wheel button illumination at night, temp. gauge, driver controlled rear light switch.

Excellent van so far.
By mayday2

2002 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We didn't want a huge van, so we tried the MPV. It has many of the same features as the Odyssey, but smaller and less cost. We have take a couple of trips and driven it around town, and it has performed very well so far. It also handles nice for a mini-van, and the interior feels bigger than it looks.

Favorite Features

ES package with leather, firm suspension and larger wheels. Hideaway third seat.

Suggested Improvements

The gear shift lever could be placed a little differently, as it is easy to bump it when messing with stereo or a/c controls. Some controls on the steering wheel help though.