2002 Mazda MPV Consumer Review: 02 Mazda MPV LX with GFX Packa

2002 Mazda MPV - Consumer Review

02 Mazda MPV LX with GFX Package
By Amy on

2002 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I did extensive research before purchasing my MPV and found the MPV to be the best price with the most standard and unique features. At the time, Odyssey was the only other minivan with tumble flat rear seats, and the MPV had the unique feature of rolldown rear windows. I liked the look (very sporty) and the motto ("body of a minivan, soul of a sports car"). I still love all these things, but have been disappointed with the reliability. I have it serviced regularly at my local dealer, yet it has been in the shop for repairs at least 6 times since I bought it. 3 weeks ago, it left me stranded with my 2 small children in the car. It's also been in for 2 recalls and my tires wore out at 28k miles.

Favorite Features

Fold flat rear seats, sliding middle bucket to bench seat, rolling rear windows, good looks, it's still the best looking minivan out there.

Suggested Improvements

Longer lasting tires instead of high performance ones, gear shift design that does not block radio controls, investigate sulfur smell that sometimes comes from exhaust, better reliability, did not enjoy sitting in the heat (100 in GA) waiting on the tow truck with 4 & 6 year olds, better gas mileage.