2002 Mazda MPV ES Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

2002 MPV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Sort Reviews by

Decent family van
By Andrea

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've enjoyed the benefits of this smaller-sized van. Our family fills it, but it has met our needs. With wise packing and a rooftop carrier, we can carry whatever we need. Ours has about 115 k miles on it, and ran well until about a year ago. We have spent quite a bit of money on repairs recently, and the "check engine" light continues to indicate a problem. I think it is nearly time to replace it, but it has served us well.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, easy to maneuver and fits into small parking spots, auto side doors, leather seats, sliding center seat

Suggested Improvements

Gear shift location, can't control rear temperature in the front, long-term reliability

$500.00+ for 6 spark plugs/tune up
By no more mazdas 4me

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission went out at 50,100 miles during my stay in Dallas after evacuating hurricane katrina. Mazda paid about 45%. I have no boat, have not pulled anything, just three small kids then. The coil packs that replaced the spark plug wires are terrible. If you have a problem with any of the back 3 cylinders bend over!!! Tires seem to wear very fast, though evenly, on the potholes of New Orleans streets. I see I am not alone with these problems.

Favorite Features

Rides like a car! Seating options and sporty look for a van. Many people thought it was a suv on first glance.

Suggested Improvements

Discount to all owners on next Mazda.

Vehicle is over 7yrs old, with 166600
By M. Kontny

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Mazda MPV Mini Van in 2005 and now it has 166,000 miles on it. I have had no major problems with my van, the only draw back is that the vehicle is starting to show rust in certain areas. I live in Wisconsin and we had a pretty harsh winter last year so there was plenty of salt to do the damage it has done to my vehicle. Otherwise, it still runs like a charm, do regular maintenance on it, replace tires once now they need to be replaced again. Air conditioner isn't working, need to have that checked. Rear heat isn't functioning due to the fact that the piping that runs within the rear wheel well has rotted out. Will have to fix this also. But overall, I really like the Mini Van.

Suggested Improvements

Find a better way to route the rear heating and A/C antifreeze and freon, stupid to run it in the rear wheel well where you know that its going to corrode causing expensive repair.

Completely Happy
By Alvin

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I wanted a minivan that wasn't so bulky, with 3RD row stow away seats, and something with decent power under the hood. The 3.0L motor is both powerful and smooth. You forget it's a minivan you're driving. The 5 speed automatic makes a world of difference on the freeway and we've found it to be smooth on shifts. We have 118,000 miles, and so far so good. We were going to buy a Honda, but after research, they had just as many complaints from its customers and was bigger than we liked

Favorite Features

Smaller, less bulky, fits in garage with room to spare. Third row stow away seats, 2nd row sliding door windows roll down. Smooth and powerful 3.0L engine. 5speed transmission(knock on wood). Car like feel. Safety features such as ABS, side air bags, very good front and side impact rating.

Suggested Improvements

overall exterior design could be better, especially the rear end. Radio is down right awful(worst part about the car in my opinion.)Placement of shifter when in drive.

My unreliable 2002 MPV
By Nigel

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My experience started with trading in my 2000 MPV, which had been reliable but underpowered, for the 2002. The tires went bald at 55k km (about 30k miles) and I had to pay lots for Turenza's with a 150k tread warranty. After the warranty expired lots of problems - front axle stabilizers both went during a road trip, hand brake cable ($250 to fix!), rear shocks, tranny cooler, 4 sets of front rotors, and finally the transmission linkage while it was getting serviced at the dealership!! Mileage was always poor for the 3L engine and tranny frequently banged while shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Reflashing the computer didn't help. Happy ending though - I got $3k trade in last week for a Matrix!

Favorite Features

Drives like a sports car. When tranny in a good mood shifts smoothly like silk. Fold down back seats and removable middle seats give lots of hauling room. Air conditioning always worked well for the 6 1/2 years I had it. Always found Mazda service staff to be willing to go extra mile.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy. Better transmission. Better reliability.

Nice design, poor execution
By NicoleNSteve

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The MPV is comfortable, and very plush for a mini-van. Power doors in rear, windows that lower on both back doors, leather throughout, and a nice sound system. This is the second MPV we purchased brand new from dealer. And the second that has required a new transmission at about 40K. Mazda helped us the first time,after much pushiness on our part, but refused on the second. Maybe they figure we should have learned our lesson? It's too bad. It drives well, and the only other serious complaint is lousy mileage. But no more Mazdas for us.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort.

Suggested Improvements

A real transmission.

Disappointing Mazda
By Donna Roque

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I purchased this minivan used with 40,000 miles on it. It was our first mini van. It is fully loaded with all the features we wanted. The first year was fine with no problems. Since the summer of 2007 we have been to the dealership (not where we purchased it) at least 6 times or more for repairs. We have 2 kids and having to go back and forth for repairs is a real inconvenience. Our main problems have been faulty ignition coils, idle control valve and an oil pan seal gasket. Lucky for us we purchased an extended warranty which has covered about two thirds of our costs thus far. This is the first vehicle that we have ever owned that has given us this much trouble.

Favorite Features

The seats are very comfortable and the versatility of the third row seat allowing you to have a lot of cargo space when needed.

Suggested Improvements

As others have stated, the radio controls need to be placed lower so the gears do not block them.

Wouldn't be without my Zoom Zoom
By Dwadon

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Awesome van. Owned a Chevy Montana prior to my MPV and have never looked back. Have 2 teens & 2 dogs and this van suits us just fine - gas mileage reasonable as well.

Favorite Features

Power doors, leather, moonroof, tumble seats in rear- I love everything about it. Looks great with GFX package & vent/hood/moonroof deflectors. Very sporty van.

Suggested Improvements

Gear shift in way of AC button.

My Unreliable Mazda
By Joe

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has given us nothing but problems. We have 47,000 miles and the warranty is out. Repairs: we have already had the transmission replaced (we do not own a boat or tow anything except the 2 kids). It took the dealership 3 weeks to get a new transmission because they were on backorder. Mazda paid 1 week on the rental but I was responsible and out of pocket for 2 weeks. The power sliding doors don't work and the dealership can't figure out the problem or take responsibility. The electronic coil on valve #3 went out and Mazda would do nothing to back up the product (cost $500 to replace coils on valve #1, 3, and 5). This was my 3rd Mazda product and now is my LAST.

Favorite Features

Honestly, there was nothing I liked about the car (maybe because of the problems and the fact that Mazda would not stand behind their product).

Suggested Improvements

Does Ford (Mazda's owner) really care about my ideas?

Sportscar of Minivans
By Eileen Gallagher

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have been driving this great little minivan for the last 2.5 yrs. Excellent for kids, roadtrips, hauling stuff. Drives beautifully: smooth, good pick-up (even on steep mountain passes), nice ride, and really can corner on those curves. Plenty of room for 6'4" son and many more. Very dependable mechanically, no big repair disasters like other vehicles I have owned. Probably the nicest car I've ever had.

Favorite Features

Drives well in snow. Dependable. Doesn't feel or look like "mom's minivan."

Suggested Improvements

Well ... there is that gearshift. Oddly placed.