Used 2001 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mazda MPV

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Great vehicle
By cyn

2001 Mazda MPV DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van new. It's been very dependable. We have only done basic repairs of things that wore out, brakes, tires. I love the handling, and the fact that it is a little smaller than other minivans. Hate the look of most boxy vans. Hope it keeps going for another 4 years!

Favorite Features

Handling - feels like a car. Very open feeling design of dash, other vans have limited visibility. Roll down middle windows. Smaller footprint of vehicle, easy to park.

Suggested Improvements

Larger cup holders in front, split rear seat.

Good little Van
By HarryJ

2001 Mazda MPV DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, this has been a fantastic vehicle. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a van that has power and is also concerned about fuel economy. I purchased this knowing I was going to Europe and on the roads and streets there, it was outstanding. I had practically no issues at all with it. My only challenge was to get an American spec vehicle serviced in Europe. I can honestly tell you this van would run 120 mph on the Autobahn with no problems, and the fuel economy was pretty good doing so.

Favorite Features

Fold flat rear bench seat. This vehicle was the truck I needed when needed. Powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Make the rear hatch open to match the interior width.

Mazda MPV
By nutsywheels

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned a Volvo, 2 Audis, a Buick, and 2 Chevy Suburbans. My 2001 Mazda MPV has truly been the best of them all. It currently has 86,000 miles on it and has only needed minor repairs thus far. A big thing for me is that no little pieces have fallen off like in my other cars, and the whole car seems to be very well made.

Favorite Features

It drives like a sedan, not a minivan.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the hood was at a more horizontal angle. It is difficult at times when I have my hands full, because I can't set anything down on it.

One of the best family cars
By Costa

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our MPV brand new in 2001 and have never had a single problem We have 90K+ and it still runs like a new vehicle. We are planning to keep this car for another 5-7 years. There is no reason to replace it. We have been to 25-30 states with our Mazda, sometime driving 15 hours straight. You would never want any other minivan. We love it!

Favorite Features

Rear power door windows. Fold into floor 3rd row. Middle captains seats slide together.

Suggested Improvements

Gear shift interferes with radio and fan controls while in driving position. Bad design! Adjust placement of gear shift so it doesn't interfere with radio and fan controls.

My 1st Mazda, my last Mazda
By Brenda

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a lot of trouble. I put on a lot of highway miles, but have put more money into this car in 125,000 miles than I ever did with our Hondas or Toyotas with over 200,000 miles on them. The engine light comes on every 10,000 miles with something wrong. 9 months ago I replaced the catalytic converter, $1100, and now they say the "other" converter needs replacing for another $1100. I am looking at Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna....no more money sucked out for that vehicle. It's not like we don't do every scheduled maintenance either. Gas mileage is poor for the size car. It is priced about $4000 too high and the resale on it is terrible. Mazda has lost our business forever.

Favorite Features

It fits well in the garage.

Suggested Improvements

Everything!