2001 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Great vehicle
By cyn on 06/25/08 08:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van new. It's been very dependable. We have only done basic repairs of things that wore out, brakes, tires. I love the handling, and the fact that it is a little smaller than other minivans. Hate the look of most boxy vans. Hope it keeps going for another 4 years!

Good little Van
By HarryJ on 03/21/08 09:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, this has been a fantastic vehicle. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a van that has power and is also concerned about fuel economy. I purchased this knowing I was going to Europe and on the roads and streets there, it was outstanding. I had practically no issues at all with it. My only challenge was to get an American spec vehicle serviced in Europe. I can honestly tell you this van would run 120 mph on the Autobahn with no problems, and the fuel economy was pretty good doing so.

Mazda MPV
By nutsywheels on 06/04/07 16:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned a Volvo, 2 Audis, a Buick, and 2 Chevy Suburbans. My 2001 Mazda MPV has truly been the best of them all. It currently has 86,000 miles on it and has only needed minor repairs thus far. A big thing for me is that no little pieces have fallen off like in my other cars, and the whole car seems to be very well made.

One of the best family cars
By Costa on 06/03/07 21:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our MPV brand new in 2001 and have never had a single problem We have 90K+ and it still runs like a new vehicle. We are planning to keep this car for another 5-7 years. There is no reason to replace it. We have been to 25-30 states with our Mazda, sometime driving 15 hours straight. You would never want any other minivan. We love it!

My 1st Mazda, my last Mazda
By Brenda on 01/20/07 21:52 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a lot of trouble. I put on a lot of highway miles, but have put more money into this car in 125,000 miles than I ever did with our Hondas or Toyotas with over 200,000 miles on them. The engine light comes on every 10,000 miles with something wrong. 9 months ago I replaced the catalytic converter, $1100, and now they say the "other" converter needs replacing for another $1100. I am looking at Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna....no more money sucked out for that vehicle. It's not like we don't do every scheduled maintenance either. Gas mileage is poor for the size car. It is priced about $4000 too high and the resale on it is terrible. Mazda has lost our business forever.

Mazda MPV = Man's Perfect Van
By Howard on 12/06/06 20:56 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

What can I say...Mazda did it again for me. A fantastic space saving/utilizing concept on wheels. On the LX the seats could have had a lumbar support to make the comfort better. The radio controls were obscured by the automatic gear changer. Other than those comments, no other criticisms/suggestions. :)

The little van that could
By Zapped on 08/28/06 11:57 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Have had the vehicle now for 4 years. We have had very few problems with it. Overall, it's quiet, responsive, and fun to drive. Been in other vans, and this is miles ahead of the others. No regrets!

Been very reliable, gas consumption bad
By Kim on 05/24/06 16:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new to replace a 1991 MPV. Gas mileage was good to start but as it gets older it's terrible. Hate the spare tire setup. It's the worst to try and change to the spare. It broke right after the warranty expired. Mazda needs to re-think the mechanism of storing the spare. Mazda also needs to be real on the carpet color choices. Kids, pets, etc. are riding in this vehicle and the light colored carpeting takes a severe beating. Thank goodness for steam cleaners. Upholstery is light but cleans up nicely. Leg room and clearance between back seat and middle seats are hard to maneuver unless you're a kid. I like the middle seat feature of being able to move them apart.

Not a bad van
By RDW on 12/22/04 22:41 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

No major problems in nearly three years. Dealer service is good. The MPV is not a street racer but it gets around OK in the flatlands of the southeast. Gas mileage is not that good.

Zoom Zoom (Not!)
By rdw on 11/17/04 23:01 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I knew when we bought the MPV that it was not going to be a high performance vehicle. It does just fine on the coastal plains of NC but the mountains of VA and WV are a challenge for its little Ford-build 2.5 litre engine. Otherwise the MPV is a quality car and is reliable. It is very comfortable - you can drive 500 miles without tiring. It is a nice car but it doesn't compare to the Honda or Toyota in value (it's a lot smaller). I think the MPV's MSRP is about $2,500 too high. Mazda's end-of-year rebates on the MPV make it competitive and I'm thinking about buying a 2004 model.