2001 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Sad to see the coming to an end
By Ted on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Probably will have to replace the MPV soon, as it is getting up there in miles. It has been a good, reliable family vehicle for almost ten years. Still wish it had more power and a 5- speed automatic. The Ford engine (from the Contour) was the only mechanical challenge. It has a minor oil leak now, and the exhaust manifolds are leaking a bit, making warm-up slightly loader than normal. The van still looks great and rides and handles great, and the interior is tight and solid with no squeaks, rattles or broken/loose parts. Highest quality car I have ever owned, other than the aforementioned engine. I wish Mazda had not discontinued. Will likely go with the new for 2011 Honda Odyssey.

Good for first 4-5 years
By Nasar on 01/21/10 06:47 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is not a van you want to buy when you have other choices like Odyssey and Sienna. the plus point is it drives nice - more like a sedan. The first 4-5 years were almost trouble free with few niggles. From then on too many problems. Recently, it won't start and had to be towed and found out that the engine froze because there was no oil ! The oil is changed on time and there is no leak. How did the oil disappear in 3 months - is a mystery !!! in winters of Chicago, the sliding doors always get stuck and you cannot open it! If you are buying new one, sell it after three years. If you are buying old one, I will look elsewhere.

decent van
By jim224 on 12/31/09 12:55 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Original owner.93k miles. Has been fairly dependable except for lately. Check engine light was on for 4 items, two cylinder misfires,cooling fan relay,and gas cap. Cost to fix at dealer $590 for new plugs and starter coil. Use lightly now as second car. Rides&handles nice, mileage just okay for a van should be better. This is an underpowered vehicle with the smallest V6 in existence, a leftover from Fords engine inventory. For its size should get better mileage, but engine is forced to work too hard. Other items replaced were the rear hatch struts and battery, Transmission is okay but not the smoothest around. Good for hauling things. Would sell but minivans are very difficult to sell.

Van did us well
By Melody on 09/10/09 18:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I replaced this van at this time first of all because of the CARS program. Secondly 3 of the 4 kids are now on their own so it's bigger than I need and it's Momma's turn. : ) Otherwise this van served my family well for 7 years. We put over 130,000 miles on the van with minimal problems towards the end. And this last winter was the first real midwest winter since I've owned it -- the smaller tires on the larger vehicle had me in the ditch twice. Despite that I still recommend it to families with children.

A Keeper
By Mikki on 08/08/09 09:47 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Mazda. First was B2200, then 99 MPV an now 2001 MPV. Our only complaint is that it hummed in the winter. I drive it approx. 40+miles 5 days a week and everywhere on the weekends. It's roomy and fun to be in. As you can see by the miles, we're always on the road. I thought about Cash for Clunkers, but why get rid of a gold mine.

Our best vehicle ever
By Constantin on 11/30/08 20:02 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Mazda MPV was $10k cheaper then Honda. We bought it and never regret it. Oil, brakes, battery and tires those are four things I ever touched. Never failed. Nothing. Nada. Just put a gas and drive. 120k miles and still driving like it just been taken from a dealer's lot. We raised 2 of our kids with this car. We have been to 14 states with our MPV. Best minivan ever.

Mazda MPV
By nutsywheels on 06/04/07 16:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned a Volvo, 2 Audis, a Buick, and 2 Chevy Suburbans. My 2001 Mazda MPV has truly been the best of them all. It currently has 86,000 miles on it and has only needed minor repairs thus far. A big thing for me is that no little pieces have fallen off like in my other cars, and the whole car seems to be very well made.

One of the best family cars
By Costa on 06/03/07 21:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our MPV brand new in 2001 and have never had a single problem We have 90K+ and it still runs like a new vehicle. We are planning to keep this car for another 5-7 years. There is no reason to replace it. We have been to 25-30 states with our Mazda, sometime driving 15 hours straight. You would never want any other minivan. We love it!

My 1st Mazda, my last Mazda
By Brenda on 01/20/07 21:52 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a lot of trouble. I put on a lot of highway miles, but have put more money into this car in 125,000 miles than I ever did with our Hondas or Toyotas with over 200,000 miles on them. The engine light comes on every 10,000 miles with something wrong. 9 months ago I replaced the catalytic converter, $1100, and now they say the "other" converter needs replacing for another $1100. I am looking at Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna....no more money sucked out for that vehicle. It's not like we don't do every scheduled maintenance either. Gas mileage is poor for the size car. It is priced about $4000 too high and the resale on it is terrible. Mazda has lost our business forever.

Mazda MPV = Man's Perfect Van
By Howard on 12/06/06 20:56 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

What can I say...Mazda did it again for me. A fantastic space saving/utilizing concept on wheels. On the LX the seats could have had a lumbar support to make the comfort better. The radio controls were obscured by the automatic gear changer. Other than those comments, no other criticisms/suggestions. :)