2001 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Been a great car- bring it back, Mazda!
By rwmich on 11/08/12 04:04 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great car for 11 years (2001 model), and still going. I have been holding off getting a new car hoping that Mazda will come back with a real minivan- the 5 is too small. I have over 200,000 miles now, and it's still going without any major issues. Been thinking about getting something new, but can't justify because this baby keeps on chugging away. It has done the full gamut of use- toting loads of kids to practices and activities, towing my 15 foot sailboat, vacation trips, hauling junk in the cargo zone, canoe on the roof, etc. What a versatile vehicle, and 20 miles per gallon.

Hurricane Ike Stole My MPV
By Spike89 on 09/20/08 08:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I used this van to haul a lot of equipment as well as two infants. The van suited us very well, as it had 40000 miles on it when I bought it. Around 65000 I started having issues with the engine light coming on and it missing, and replaced starter sensor, but they never were able to completely fix the problem. The value for the price of this van was excellent, and it was a very good deal considering other cars that I had reviewed. I especially liked the way that I could haul a lot of inventory. It was much easier to use then my Explorer or Surbuban. I recently bought a Town and Country at a much higher price and love that vehicle as it's easier with auto doors and the tvs for the kids.

Great vehicle
By cyn on 06/25/08 08:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van new. It's been very dependable. We have only done basic repairs of things that wore out, brakes, tires. I love the handling, and the fact that it is a little smaller than other minivans. Hate the look of most boxy vans. Hope it keeps going for another 4 years!

Good little Van
By HarryJ on 03/21/08 09:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, this has been a fantastic vehicle. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a van that has power and is also concerned about fuel economy. I purchased this knowing I was going to Europe and on the roads and streets there, it was outstanding. I had practically no issues at all with it. My only challenge was to get an American spec vehicle serviced in Europe. I can honestly tell you this van would run 120 mph on the Autobahn with no problems, and the fuel economy was pretty good doing so.

Been very reliable, gas consumption bad
By Kim on 05/24/06 16:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new to replace a 1991 MPV. Gas mileage was good to start but as it gets older it's terrible. Hate the spare tire setup. It's the worst to try and change to the spare. It broke right after the warranty expired. Mazda needs to re-think the mechanism of storing the spare. Mazda also needs to be real on the carpet color choices. Kids, pets, etc. are riding in this vehicle and the light colored carpeting takes a severe beating. Thank goodness for steam cleaners. Upholstery is light but cleans up nicely. Leg room and clearance between back seat and middle seats are hard to maneuver unless you're a kid. I like the middle seat feature of being able to move them apart.

Good Van
By andyengineer on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Used for 160 mi/day commute for five months, took extended family (4 adults, 2 kids, & luggage)to mountains, then took out seats and used it as a moving van. I am impressed. The acceleration is adequate under load (1000+ lbs.) and downright zippy when empty. It has excellent safety features, good comfort, and does not suffer the wallow of other vans when I ride in the 2nd row.

Mazda MPV DX
By consumerlori on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Handles well, smooth ride, Some options are "worthless", like the visor mirrors and the tray under the passenger seat. The rear folding seat is a nice convenience as are the center removable seats, this gives many options for packing & day to day use. Leg room for the center and rear seats is tight. For the most part it's a fun car, ZOOM ZOOM!

2001 Mazda MPV
By JesseB. on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great Car. Plenty of Power. Easiest MiniVan to parallel park. Milage around town could be better but not horrible.

1 year review
By Etienne on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has surpassed our expectations. It is only 1 year old, so it is too early to give a full evaluation, but it has performed well both in city and on the highway. It's seating options and fold under rear seat allows us much flexibllity as we use it for business.

Best MiniVan Ever Drove
By melp on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV Minivan DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I like the car-like feel and behavior. Solid body, nimble and fun-to-drive. It has enough power to go zoom zoom.