2001 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Been a great car- bring it back, Mazda!
By rwmich on 11/08/12 04:04 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great car for 11 years (2001 model), and still going. I have been holding off getting a new car hoping that Mazda will come back with a real minivan- the 5 is too small. I have over 200,000 miles now, and it's still going without any major issues. Been thinking about getting something new, but can't justify because this baby keeps on chugging away. It has done the full gamut of use- toting loads of kids to practices and activities, towing my 15 foot sailboat, vacation trips, hauling junk in the cargo zone, canoe on the roof, etc. What a versatile vehicle, and 20 miles per gallon.

Sad to see the coming to an end
By Ted on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Probably will have to replace the MPV soon, as it is getting up there in miles. It has been a good, reliable family vehicle for almost ten years. Still wish it had more power and a 5- speed automatic. The Ford engine (from the Contour) was the only mechanical challenge. It has a minor oil leak now, and the exhaust manifolds are leaking a bit, making warm-up slightly loader than normal. The van still looks great and rides and handles great, and the interior is tight and solid with no squeaks, rattles or broken/loose parts. Highest quality car I have ever owned, other than the aforementioned engine. I wish Mazda had not discontinued. Will likely go with the new for 2011 Honda Odyssey.

Good for first 4-5 years
By Nasar on 01/21/10 06:47 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is not a van you want to buy when you have other choices like Odyssey and Sienna. the plus point is it drives nice - more like a sedan. The first 4-5 years were almost trouble free with few niggles. From then on too many problems. Recently, it won't start and had to be towed and found out that the engine froze because there was no oil ! The oil is changed on time and there is no leak. How did the oil disappear in 3 months - is a mystery !!! in winters of Chicago, the sliding doors always get stuck and you cannot open it! If you are buying new one, sell it after three years. If you are buying old one, I will look elsewhere.

decent van
By jim224 on 12/31/09 12:55 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Original owner.93k miles. Has been fairly dependable except for lately. Check engine light was on for 4 items, two cylinder misfires,cooling fan relay,and gas cap. Cost to fix at dealer $590 for new plugs and starter coil. Use lightly now as second car. Rides&handles nice, mileage just okay for a van should be better. This is an underpowered vehicle with the smallest V6 in existence, a leftover from Fords engine inventory. For its size should get better mileage, but engine is forced to work too hard. Other items replaced were the rear hatch struts and battery, Transmission is okay but not the smoothest around. Good for hauling things. Would sell but minivans are very difficult to sell.

Still Going Strong
By Shooter20 on 11/18/09 13:06 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

We've owned this van since it was new 8 years ago and its still going strong. Its at 110K miles and while its now been demoted to my "work" vehicle and replaced by an '07 Honda Odyssey, its still earning its keep. Its more nimble than the Honda, just not big enough any more for the two much larger teenagers. Great van for a young family or couples that need a multi-purpose vehicle.

Van did us well
By Melody on 09/10/09 18:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I replaced this van at this time first of all because of the CARS program. Secondly 3 of the 4 kids are now on their own so it's bigger than I need and it's Momma's turn. : ) Otherwise this van served my family well for 7 years. We put over 130,000 miles on the van with minimal problems towards the end. And this last winter was the first real midwest winter since I've owned it -- the smaller tires on the larger vehicle had me in the ditch twice. Despite that I still recommend it to families with children.

A Keeper
By Mikki on 08/08/09 09:47 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Mazda. First was B2200, then 99 MPV an now 2001 MPV. Our only complaint is that it hummed in the winter. I drive it approx. 40+miles 5 days a week and everywhere on the weekends. It's roomy and fun to be in. As you can see by the miles, we're always on the road. I thought about Cash for Clunkers, but why get rid of a gold mine.

Reliable
By Wayne on 12/28/08 13:56 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my MPV new and it has lived up to its billing. Nice ride, comfortable seating. Just change oil, brakes, and other routine maintenance and the van does the rest. Drives more like a car than a van. Easy to configure seats and take out and out back seats for hauling stuff. Wife and daughter can drive it as its not "boaty". The only thing that has broken is the cable for the spare tire. If you buy one make sure to learn how to get it at the spare.

Our best vehicle ever
By Constantin on 11/30/08 20:02 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Mazda MPV was $10k cheaper then Honda. We bought it and never regret it. Oil, brakes, battery and tires those are four things I ever touched. Never failed. Nothing. Nada. Just put a gas and drive. 120k miles and still driving like it just been taken from a dealer's lot. We raised 2 of our kids with this car. We have been to 14 states with our MPV. Best minivan ever.

Hurricane Ike Stole My MPV
By Spike89 on 09/20/08 08:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda MPV DX 4dr Minivan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I used this van to haul a lot of equipment as well as two infants. The van suited us very well, as it had 40000 miles on it when I bought it. Around 65000 I started having issues with the engine light coming on and it missing, and replaced starter sensor, but they never were able to completely fix the problem. The value for the price of this van was excellent, and it was a very good deal considering other cars that I had reviewed. I especially liked the way that I could haul a lot of inventory. It was much easier to use then my Explorer or Surbuban. I recently bought a Town and Country at a much higher price and love that vehicle as it's easier with auto doors and the tvs for the kids.

1 2 3 4 5 next »