2000 Mazda MPV Consumer Review: Find a cliff

2000 Mazda MPV - Consumer Review

Find a cliff
By findacliff on

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

worst vehicle I have owned! would rather drive my 88 VW Jetta with 302,000Km than this minivan. Did my research before I bought it two years ago and have been disappointed ever since. Issues started a year after I bought it with the alternator going dead. Though it was an older battery and bought a new one. Turns out the alternator was not working and left my wife and family stranded. Towed to Pacific Mazda in Victoria who wanted to charge $700 for the alternator and tried to convince my wife that she needed a new battery. This is a blatant rip off as the battery was 2 days old! I sourced a reman alternator (Bosch) for less than $300 and sent it to the dealer.

This week, the transmission locked up into foward (no reverse was the symptom). Coolant had been leaking into the trans and destroyed it. No visible signs of coolant leakage. $4200 bill to rebuild the trans with new friction material, torque converter and electonic sensors. complete piece of crap. Steer clear of Mazda MPV and be careful of Pacific Mazda! On the subject of steering, why can't the align the drivers seat with the steering wheel? The seat is too far to the left and does not sit the driver centred with the wheel. This should have been my first clue of the quality of these vehicles.