2000 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
A Dissappointment
By lindseyg2324 on 07/15/13 18:28 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

We bought our MPV used about 1 yr ago. We bought it knowing the trans drove rough, but thought it would get us through what we needed it to. The previous owners seemed to have no issues with it. Within 3 months the radiator went out. Replaced it right away. 6 months later, engine heads went out. Due to the config. of the engine, it is a very timely & costly repair, in total around 48 hrs. My husband took on the task to save $. It took us 8 months to get that finished. 1 day after the engine was done, the trans finally went out. Replaced it. I don't have faith that this car will last much longer. Sad that it's not working out. Husband is determined to make it last after working so hard.

Find a cliff
By findacliff on 12/23/11 10:29 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

worst vehicle I have owned! would rather drive my 88 VW Jetta with 302,000Km than this minivan. Did my research before I bought it two years ago and have been disappointed ever since. Issues started a year after I bought it with the alternator going dead. Though it was an older battery and bought a new one. Turns out the alternator was not working and left my wife and family stranded. Towed to Pacific Mazda in Victoria who wanted to charge $700 for the alternator and tried to convince my wife that she needed a new battery. This is a blatant rip off as the battery was 2 days old! I sourced a reman alternator (Bosch) for less than $300 and sent it to the dealer.

Great Van
By Jake on 08/20/10 10:51 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

Van is very dependable. After 140K miles, still runs great. Issues are sluggish engine, cheap sliding door handles (both broke, one side twice). Only maintenance is shocks/struts, air filter and fluid changes. Check engine light for air intake sensor but I never fixed it and never and had issues after 60k miles!

Wish Mazda 9 were imported
By Ken on 08/01/10 11:37 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

Bought this van new, fully loaded for about 25,500. No significant problems. Approaching 100,000 mi. Starting to look for new people mover. MPV is still being made in Japan under Mazda 9 badge. Unfortunately, Ford is trying to get you to buy higher priced Flex, and forced Mazda to drop import. Nothing else on market carries the easy handling, small size, multiple flexibility, and comfortable ride. I still get compliments on the smooth ride.

Solid Vehicle
By m on 10/04/08 11:34 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

After 112,000 miles only a few major repairs - one door actuator and cracked exhaust manifold. Lots of great features in the van, especially for the time. Really like the fold flat rear seat. No problems with CD or moonroof. Great stereo. Biggest disappointment is the lack of power. The transmission kicks and the whole car jumps (not to move fast, just jumps). It's been a good dependable car and with 23/24 mpg on the highway not bad for a van.

Twice Mazda Owner
By pat ark on 09/09/07 16:53 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

I have owned my Mazda van for 7 1/2 years and love the way it rides and drives. It is easily guided into parking spots and easy to backup and pass other vehicles on the highway. Love the room that it has when all the seats are lowered or removed.

Seven great years
By TT on 04/15/07 20:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

We've had our 2000 MPV since 2000 and have had seven years of trouble free service. Awesome vehicle!! Has served us well.

Good overall minivan
By Steve on 09/04/06 15:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

First family minivan has been a good one. This van purchased at 88K needed a front axle, and minor items up to 115K and still happy. Runs great and been reliable.

Mazda MPV - 5years Old
By EMSKLB on 07/28/05 21:52 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

While I was happy with the MPV early on, it appears things are beginning to fail at the 5 year and 90,000 mile mark.

What a hunk-o-junk
By NotaHappyCust on 10/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

I bought this van after extensive research into general reliability but I musta got a lemon! In the last six months: corroded coolant lines $600; alternator $800; front brakes (12mos old) $250; driver's window mechanism $800; wiper arm (fell off!) $100; front stabilizer links x2 $250. I could have lived with a gutless wonder with bad gas mileage but not with all these repair bills. I called Mazda but they couldn't have cared less. I feel bad unloading it on somebody but this baby is gone!!! Back to Honda/Toyota for this guy.