2000 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Favourite Van of its Era..
By yunush on 05/24/13 20:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

Bought the van brand new in 2000, 13 years later and its still running strong with 230,000kms... Recently with my abuse ( I run it around 4 - 5000kms a month) its started giving minor problems such as the alternator and stabilizer links, but that is expected of a car of its age. Gas milaege is great compared to other vans, awesome people hauler, and great flexibility with the seats. Fun to drive.

Don't buy a Mazda. Buy American.
By TinaJones on 07/31/10 17:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

When we bought the Mazda, we thought it was like a Toyota. Will keep running and running. Wrong, wrong, wrong! We have had it towed to a local garage because it just would not start. The garage tried to just get a design for the motor so they could make sure everything was where it was supposed to be. Mazda would send them a design if they would pay $169.00. Had it towed to a dealership, thought it was fixed. Ran hot on us when we went out of town for my son's state track meet. It was 100 degrees and when the mazdas run hot, the air does not work. It is not recommended for the south. We did not even make it home, our other son had to come and get us 30 miles away from our home.

A great minivan put to the test and beyond
By Joe Nurse on 07/10/10 03:39 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

I bought this van from a private seller in 05 with 72,000 miles on it. My van now has 173,000 we have routinely towed an 18 ft Ski boat with no problem except when the ramp is wet. Get out grab the cooler and kids push hard HA HA! No major issues what soever even towed a popup trailer to Tennessee through Blue Ridge Mountains.

Expect the worst and it will happen
By lowinpro on 11/10/09 18:05 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

We've owned this MPV for a few years, got it for less than blue book from a private party. Recently (at about 80k miles) some things started going wrong - both manifolds, water pump, oil pump, timing chain, pcv, and many electrical problems. Both the passenger front door and one sliding door have electrical/mechanical malfunctions (one only opens from the inside, the other only from the outside). In short, a wide variety of mechanical, electrical, and engine problems that are very expensive to repair - about double the actual value of the vehicle at this point. None of them fall under "routine maintenance." Advice: steer clear of Mazda vans of this vintage.

happy but not so happy
By kelle on 09/27/09 19:49 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

This is our first minivan, we've had it for 5 years with minimal problems. One thing I really dislike is that a lot of the parts are made cheaply and have broken with normal use. The handles on both my rear sliding door simply broke off in my hand when opening the door. Also, the plastic clip that holds the sunflap up has broken on both sides, and the console hinge opens sometimes when driving. These parts are all made of plastic, and I wonder why they have broken... I have never heard of another vehicle with two door handles breaking off like that. Needless to say, they are extremely expensive to fix, as have been most of the seemingly simple repairs on this vehicle.

door lock actuators fail a lot NO Recall
By mpvfixer on 09/22/08 12:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

Good overall van, BUT be ready to spend $150 plus for the door lock actuators when they fail about every two years. This is the price for the PART ONLY for each door. This van we have has both front door actuators that have failed within weeks of each other in 2003. Should be a recall item as MANY others have this same problem, but Mazda does NOTHING. Be warned! Oh if you have the dealer do the work, you are looking at $350 P&L and up per door!

No Regrets
By Jim on 09/08/08 16:09 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

I honestly do not know how other people have so many problems with their MPVs. This van was a demo with 10K and now has 155K. Everything still works like new after 7 yrs, even the CD changer has never jammed. This vehicle has been driven day after day with two kids and was fully put to the test. No major repairs except the trans was replaced under warranty at 75K because the dealer insisted it needed it when brought in for an unrelated noise. Very comfortable vehicle and easy to drive on long trips. Lots of innovative features not available at the time on other models. I could not have asked for a more reliable vehicle. If Mazda still made the MPV we would trade for a new one today.

Transmission Failed
By MPV Owner on 07/16/08 16:15 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

I have been driving this car since the start of 2001. Overall it has been solid and has required only basic or required minimal repairs... until now. At only 80,000 miles the transmission has completely failed. This will cost over $3,000 to repair, more than 1/2 the value of the car. Mechanics seem surprised, but say it is a closed system, and if it goes... well it just goes. This is a real bummer and has really turned me off on this car.

Like it, but disappointed
By BobK on 03/19/08 15:10 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

I've had way too many minor and medium level problems, although no major problems yet. Both front door actuators have failed, as has the driver's window motor. All have failed where there's a metal to plastic gear meshing. The CD changer jams and has to be removed and unjammed every 3-4 months. The latch for the visor mirror broke so the mirror hangs open if the visor is down. Plastic covers for inside door lights have fallen off because the plastic tabs broke.

Problems after 6 years
By Mazda fan? on 10/01/07 10:50 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

Bought this van new. No problems. Changed oil, rotated tires, purchased new tires as needed. Rear heater was warranty work. At 6 1/2 years old 100,000 + the check engine light comes on. Transmission hasn't failed yet, but we're wondering, thought Mazda was more reliable than this. Our 1st Mazda was about 9 years old, no mechanical when we traded for larger van. I want to decide when I trade, not have mechanical failure decide for me!