2000 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
A Dissappointment
By lindseyg2324 on 07/15/13 18:28 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

We bought our MPV used about 1 yr ago. We bought it knowing the trans drove rough, but thought it would get us through what we needed it to. The previous owners seemed to have no issues with it. Within 3 months the radiator went out. Replaced it right away. 6 months later, engine heads went out. Due to the config. of the engine, it is a very timely & costly repair, in total around 48 hrs. My husband took on the task to save $. It took us 8 months to get that finished. 1 day after the engine was done, the trans finally went out. Replaced it. I don't have faith that this car will last much longer. Sad that it's not working out. Husband is determined to make it last after working so hard.

Favourite Van of its Era..
By yunush on 05/24/13 20:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

Bought the van brand new in 2000, 13 years later and its still running strong with 230,000kms... Recently with my abuse ( I run it around 4 - 5000kms a month) its started giving minor problems such as the alternator and stabilizer links, but that is expected of a car of its age. Gas milaege is great compared to other vans, awesome people hauler, and great flexibility with the seats. Fun to drive.

Find a cliff
By findacliff on 12/23/11 10:29 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

worst vehicle I have owned! would rather drive my 88 VW Jetta with 302,000Km than this minivan. Did my research before I bought it two years ago and have been disappointed ever since. Issues started a year after I bought it with the alternator going dead. Though it was an older battery and bought a new one. Turns out the alternator was not working and left my wife and family stranded. Towed to Pacific Mazda in Victoria who wanted to charge $700 for the alternator and tried to convince my wife that she needed a new battery. This is a blatant rip off as the battery was 2 days old! I sourced a reman alternator (Bosch) for less than $300 and sent it to the dealer.

Great Van
By Jake on 08/20/10 10:51 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

Van is very dependable. After 140K miles, still runs great. Issues are sluggish engine, cheap sliding door handles (both broke, one side twice). Only maintenance is shocks/struts, air filter and fluid changes. Check engine light for air intake sensor but I never fixed it and never and had issues after 60k miles!

Great van!
By Connie on 08/12/10 05:37 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV DX 4dr Minivan

I feel so badly when I read about the horror stories of other owners because we have been beyond happy with our van! We purchased it new in 2000 and have had nothing but normal maintenance. The only thing that has now happened twice is that the driver's side sliding door handle has broken. Don't understand this, but if that's the only problem we've had in 10 years, I'm thrilled! We are at 145,000 miles and hope to continue for at least another 50,000?

Wish Mazda 9 were imported
By Ken on 08/01/10 11:37 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

Bought this van new, fully loaded for about 25,500. No significant problems. Approaching 100,000 mi. Starting to look for new people mover. MPV is still being made in Japan under Mazda 9 badge. Unfortunately, Ford is trying to get you to buy higher priced Flex, and forced Mazda to drop import. Nothing else on market carries the easy handling, small size, multiple flexibility, and comfortable ride. I still get compliments on the smooth ride.

Don't buy a Mazda. Buy American.
By TinaJones on 07/31/10 17:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

When we bought the Mazda, we thought it was like a Toyota. Will keep running and running. Wrong, wrong, wrong! We have had it towed to a local garage because it just would not start. The garage tried to just get a design for the motor so they could make sure everything was where it was supposed to be. Mazda would send them a design if they would pay $169.00. Had it towed to a dealership, thought it was fixed. Ran hot on us when we went out of town for my son's state track meet. It was 100 degrees and when the mazdas run hot, the air does not work. It is not recommended for the south. We did not even make it home, our other son had to come and get us 30 miles away from our home.

A great minivan put to the test and beyond
By Joe Nurse on 07/10/10 03:39 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

I bought this van from a private seller in 05 with 72,000 miles on it. My van now has 173,000 we have routinely towed an 18 ft Ski boat with no problem except when the ramp is wet. Get out grab the cooler and kids push hard HA HA! No major issues what soever even towed a popup trailer to Tennessee through Blue Ridge Mountains.

Great van for the money
By john u on 01/24/10 18:49 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda MPV DX 4dr Minivan

Bought the van almost 8 years ago and have had only a few issues. Alternator need replacement. Rear hatch struts failed and coolant lines to rear leaked but both were recall items (sure hurt when the hatch slammed onto my head and knocked me to the ground). I've got 165,000 kms on it now and it is rusting like crazy...that is my only real complaint other than the not so great gas mileage and the fact that the van is so boring.

Expect the worst and it will happen
By lowinpro on 11/10/09 18:05 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

We've owned this MPV for a few years, got it for less than blue book from a private party. Recently (at about 80k miles) some things started going wrong - both manifolds, water pump, oil pump, timing chain, pcv, and many electrical problems. Both the passenger front door and one sliding door have electrical/mechanical malfunctions (one only opens from the inside, the other only from the outside). In short, a wide variety of mechanical, electrical, and engine problems that are very expensive to repair - about double the actual value of the vehicle at this point. None of them fall under "routine maintenance." Advice: steer clear of Mazda vans of this vintage.