Used 2000 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

A Dissappointment
By lindseyg2324

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

We bought our MPV used about 1 yr ago. We bought it knowing the trans drove rough, but thought it would get us through what we needed it to. The previous owners seemed to have no issues with it. Within 3 months the radiator went out. Replaced it right away. 6 months later, engine heads went out. Due to the config. of the engine, it is a very timely & costly repair, in total around 48 hrs. My husband took on the task to save $. It took us 8 months to get that finished. 1 day after the engine was done, the trans finally went out. Replaced it. I don't have faith that this car will last much longer. Sad that it's not working out. Husband is determined to make it last after working so hard.

Favorite Features

It is a very comfortable car to drive. The height of the seat is good inside the car and in combination with the height of the car off the ground, it's really easy to get in and out of, (especially when I was pregnant.) My husband, who has never been a mini van fan, wont let me get rid of this one even with all of it's problems because it's one of the most comfortable cars he's driven. The kids enjoy that the windows roll down in the sliding doors. I have heard that most mini vans don't have that option til much newer years. The back seat folds down easily to make lots of trunk space. For the 2000 mini-van market, I think it is one of the more attractive ones out there.

Favourite Van of its Era..
By yunush

2000 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

Bought the van brand new in 2000, 13 years later and its still running strong with 230,000kms... Recently with my abuse ( I run it around 4 - 5000kms a month) its started giving minor problems such as the alternator and stabilizer links, but that is expected of a car of its age. Gas milaege is great compared to other vans, awesome people hauler, and great flexibility with the seats. Fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Seat flexibility, reliability, fun to drive, still runs like new after 13 years.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger door freezes in winter..thats about it. Slight underperforming engine.

Find a cliff
By findacliff

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

worst vehicle I have owned! would rather drive my 88 VW Jetta with 302,000Km than this minivan. Did my research before I bought it two years ago and have been disappointed ever since. Issues started a year after I bought it with the alternator going dead. Though it was an older battery and bought a new one. Turns out the alternator was not working and left my wife and family stranded. Towed to Pacific Mazda in Victoria who wanted to charge $700 for the alternator and tried to convince my wife that she needed a new battery. This is a blatant rip off as the battery was 2 days old! I sourced a reman alternator (Bosch) for less than $300 and sent it to the dealer.

Favorite Features

This week, the transmission locked up into foward (no reverse was the symptom). Coolant had been leaking into the trans and destroyed it. No visible signs of coolant leakage. $4200 bill to rebuild the trans with new friction material, torque converter and electonic sensors. complete piece of crap. Steer clear of Mazda MPV and be careful of Pacific Mazda! On the subject of steering, why can't the align the drivers seat with the steering wheel? The seat is too far to the left and does not sit the driver centred with the wheel. This should have been my first clue of the quality of these vehicles.

Great Van
By Jake

2000 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

Van is very dependable. After 140K miles, still runs great. Issues are sluggish engine, cheap sliding door handles (both broke, one side twice). Only maintenance is shocks/struts, air filter and fluid changes. Check engine light for air intake sensor but I never fixed it and never and had issues after 60k miles!

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride. Nice interior.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful engine. Stronger door handles. Deeper cup holders.

Great van!
By Connie

2000 Mazda MPV DX 4dr Minivan

I feel so badly when I read about the horror stories of other owners because we have been beyond happy with our van! We purchased it new in 2000 and have had nothing but normal maintenance. The only thing that has now happened twice is that the driver's side sliding door handle has broken. Don't understand this, but if that's the only problem we've had in 10 years, I'm thrilled! We are at 145,000 miles and hope to continue for at least another 50,000?

Favorite Features

fold down seats

Suggested Improvements

better handles on the sliding doors