1998 Mazda MPV Consumer Review: Best MPV Ever Built!

1998 Mazda MPV - Consumer Review

LX Passenger Minivan (3.0L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

Best MPV Ever Built!
By Harold on

1998 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan 4WD

I have owned two MPV minivan "trucks". The first one bought in 1990 was driven over 200,000 miles. It was sold in 2003 unsolicited to a total stranger right off the street who pleaded to buy it. Earlier, I continued to drive the 1990 model 5 more years after we purchased the 1998 MPV. I think Mazda should have stuck with the '98 "All Sport" concept, rather than making the fatal mistake of changing designs. However, nearly 10 years later the newer crossovers seem to come close. The '98 MPV is awesome and in my opinion the best "truck" Mazda ever built. I would buy another one if they built another 4WD All Sport MPV like the 1998 model.

On demand 4WD drives flawlessly on ice and snow. The "All Sport" is surprisingly fast for a heavy vehicle. Punching gas pedal of the '98 MPV into passing gear makes the '98 MPV sound like a race car. It is very roomy for 8 people. I love the four doors and lift back. The MPV is very dependable.