1998 LX 4wd with 175km(109mi) and new transmission
By familydude2 on
1998 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan 4WD
I recently bought a 1998 LX 4wd with optional load levelers and mid row captains chairs. It has 175k KM or 109k MILES on original engine and a rebuilt transmission. IMPORTANT for purchase decision * the previous owners were families with 2 children (softly driven/usually up to date maintenance). THE GOOD = capabilities for entire family fun. THE KINDA BAD = fuel economy (but that's the price to have a 4wd 7 passenger Mini Van. Overall I like it - the bones are there its up to " the owner " to buy right and take care of it. NOW personally I have a ticking in my valve lifters and it was suggested by MAZDA to add a heavier oil next oil change so it causes the lifters to quiet.. LOL sounds good.
Favorite Features
Store the rear bench seat and YOU can have plenty of space for cargo and middle row for passengers. I'm doing that today and put my rear bench on my patio for a patio sofa (apartment patio - small) TRUE 4wd is great. Its at my finger tips for my control and I can also lock the center differential on my dash , for * low end * low speed 4wd(like through dirt road with trailer). Windows go all the way down in the mid row. Rear Air condition
Suggested Improvements
CUP holders in the middle row captains chairs are too shallow and don't hold a drink down on an aggressive turn. So don,t put drinks in the middle row captains chairs .. the drivers cupholders are fine.. but alittle sticky after so many years of service. FOR the driver ... Drive the MPV like a big truck or bus.. start slow (be good to the transmission) then start using the power on the highway and through the 4wd usage.. other than that this is a BUS in the turns and off the line.. The fun here is in the comfort and utilitarian uses (tow / 4wd / family outings).