1997 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
A very reliable vehicle
By grapemanca on 06/17/09 21:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

We've owned our '97 MPV since it was new. It's been a very reliable vehicle, and we've had no major tranny, engine or front-end repairs in almost 12 years (but we do follow the service manual). It can hold a lot of stuff, and makes for an excellent passenger and moving van. The only negatives are its weight, which leads to mediocre fuel economy and premature tire wear. Strange lean to the right as well, which I've noticed on other MPV's. A very solid machine that's taken a fair bit of abuse and kept on driving smoothly.

I can't believe it's rear wheel drive??
By johnny marshall on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

Bought it with load and people in mind. That's all I got.Constant rear passenger door locking problem, it locks when it shouldn't. In winter, all locks go screwy. I NEVER asked if it was front wheel drive when I bought it. Japanese DON'T make rear wheel drive anything anymore, right? WRONG! New winter tires on, it handles worse than my old GMC vandura! No confidence in this vehicle whatsoever. Even the Big 3 make front wheel drive minivans! What happened to these guys on this one? The fuel economy is aweful, I can't wait to change it! I think a Sante Fe will be better than this. What a shame!

Solid Van
By MPV Driver on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

We have had no significant problems with our MPV over the years. Heard of transmission problems in other vehicles but none in ours yet. Nuisance check engine light goes on and off occasionally, but mechanic has found no problems. Speedo error can be caused by different size tires, stock tires can be very difficult to find and if you can find them you won't want to pay for them. I am encouraged by the number of older style MPVs (3 doors) still running the road that make ours look new. Although the van has been very reliable, I would not give 5 cents for the maintenance department of the dealer where we bought.

Love my MPV
By kclark987 on 12/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 4dr Minivan

We like the fact that this minivan looks more like an SUV than a minivan. The rear wheel drive is great for towing (up to 3500 lbs) and the handling is excellent. We've had absolutely no problems in the 57,000 miles we've owned it. In fact, other than the driver's side sun visor, I can't think of anything that's gone wrong.