1997 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
A very reliable vehicle
By grapemanca on 06/17/09 21:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

We've owned our '97 MPV since it was new. It's been a very reliable vehicle, and we've had no major tranny, engine or front-end repairs in almost 12 years (but we do follow the service manual). It can hold a lot of stuff, and makes for an excellent passenger and moving van. The only negatives are its weight, which leads to mediocre fuel economy and premature tire wear. Strange lean to the right as well, which I've noticed on other MPV's. A very solid machine that's taken a fair bit of abuse and kept on driving smoothly.

Best MiniSUV/VAN
By jerome on 08/05/08 13:06 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan 4WD

Great vehicle. Mazda had a great thing going, and now suvs became this type of vehicle. Wish they never changed the design, or change back and put in newer components and engines. This is a great style. Rear seats don't have much leg room, but when your kids start to get cramped back there, it means soon enough they won't want to be in the same car with you anyway, LOL. So good, I have been looking for another one and getting rid of my car.

1997 Mazda MPV 4WD
By SnowMPV on 02/20/06 13:05 PM (PST)

1997 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan 4WD

I have had a Toyota Land Cruiser, and compared to that it is agile and very fuel efficient. I used to get 8 MPG in city and 13 Mpg in highway with the Land Cruiser. The 4X4 MPV gets 14 MPG in city and 21 Highway. I have climbed off road areas that my brother with a 4WD Suburban could not keep up. Thanks to MPV's differential lock. This SUV/MINIVAN was never tasted good to car magazines' subjective taste without objective reasons. It is an outstanding low priced 4 wheel drive van with 4 doors.

I can't believe it's rear wheel drive??
By johnny marshall on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

Bought it with load and people in mind. That's all I got.Constant rear passenger door locking problem, it locks when it shouldn't. In winter, all locks go screwy. I NEVER asked if it was front wheel drive when I bought it. Japanese DON'T make rear wheel drive anything anymore, right? WRONG! New winter tires on, it handles worse than my old GMC vandura! No confidence in this vehicle whatsoever. Even the Big 3 make front wheel drive minivans! What happened to these guys on this one? The fuel economy is aweful, I can't wait to change it! I think a Sante Fe will be better than this. What a shame!

Fun Van
By s.d. on 11/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

Our Mazda MPV has been wonderful. One of our biggest favorites about this model is the two back doors are 'regular' doors...not sliding doors. Also captain chair seats that recline in both the front & rear areas make movement inside similar to that of an airplane! A must with 4 children! Thanks to Mazda and Jim Ellis dealership for wonderful service over the years in keeping our great investment in such good shape. Would buy another in a heartbeat. SD

Solid Van
By MPV Driver on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

We have had no significant problems with our MPV over the years. Heard of transmission problems in other vehicles but none in ours yet. Nuisance check engine light goes on and off occasionally, but mechanic has found no problems. Speedo error can be caused by different size tires, stock tires can be very difficult to find and if you can find them you won't want to pay for them. I am encouraged by the number of older style MPVs (3 doors) still running the road that make ours look new. Although the van has been very reliable, I would not give 5 cents for the maintenance department of the dealer where we bought.

Love my MPV
By kclark987 on 12/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

We like the fact that this minivan looks more like an SUV than a minivan. The rear wheel drive is great for towing (up to 3500 lbs) and the handling is excellent. We've had absolutely no problems in the 57,000 miles we've owned it. In fact, other than the driver's side sun visor, I can't think of anything that's gone wrong.

Sport Utility, Wagon, and Van All in One
By AllSport4WheelDriver on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan 4WD

Had to look high and low to finally find this particular MPV. Bought used with 28k miles, now closing in on 40k and have had no mechanical problems whatsoever. Went on a 4th of July excursion to Lake Tahoe/Reno/Carson City/Sacramento/San Francisco logging over 1,500 miles and the Multi-Purpose Passenger Vehicle ran solidly.

Sales Engineer
By lee hendrix on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan 4WD

We found this vehicle's tranmission to be very expensive to repair and unreliable. The same is true with other engine components. The transmission cost almost $3,000 to repair. The catalytic converter is almost $600. Power window regulators failed and the speedometer has been off by 5 miles per hour since the purchase of the vehicle.