First Cross-over Vehicle
By ceprise on
1996 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan 4WD
Mazda didn't realize it, but these were the first crossover vehicles. Mini- van, SUV, stationwagon? We bought our 96 in 02, with 49K pampered miles from a nice Russian couple. They were moving on up to a Highlander. My local Mazda dealer told me that these 96-98 MPVs were never on his lot, as owners either kept or sold private. Our '96 is now in the shop for a +92k rebuild. Timing belt and water pump replacemant, front U-joint boots, motor and tranny fluid replacement. It'll run about $800-900 bucks. Well worth the price! I just had a '99 Concorde 2.7L DIE at 98K of crankshaft failure. I'll pamper my 96 MPV, Thank You! I popped in E-Bay 6-CD,it rock
Favorite Features
Cross-over design. Wide swing (90 degree) of rear doors. Stable handling and manners. 4WD on-demand. 7-passenger capability, plus hauling space without third seat. I use it to go onto industrial jobsites for my Geotube business, from mines to Superfund sites.
Suggested Improvements
Have the cloth interior LX. More front leg room. Adjustable seat height and tilt. Hard seat for long distances. Needs sun roof. Should I have tried to find a leather ES? Rear door opening glitches. Really a Mazda 3.0L truck! Expect 15/20 MPG. It really is a Mazda truck!