Used 1996 Mazda MPV DX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

1996 Mazda MPV Minivan

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Unbelievable Vehicle
By Jim

1996 Mazda MPV Minivan DX 4dr Minivan

I bought our '96 Mazda MPV in Sept. 2003 with 145,000 miles on it. Today it has 202,000 and is still going strong. I have only had to replace the starter, spark plug wires, belt tensioner and just recently the radiator. That's it. It runs like a clock. It is quite comfortable. I drive it for 10-12 hours at a stretch and have no problems. I saw the identical vehicle in a parking lot today and sought out the owner to see if he was interested in selling. I would buy another today if I had the chance.

Favorite Features

Overall quality of construction. A solid, reliable, comfortable, economical vehicle. It just ... runs!

Suggested Improvements

Make third seat fold to the floor, make it easily removable, or something. It is fine as a third row seat, but is cumbersome and difficult to contend with if you want to load anything in the back of the vehicle. Practically NO room behind 3rd seat for luggage or anything else. Small matter to me!

MPV fan for life
By 4WDMPVfan

1996 Mazda MPV Minivan DX 4dr Minivan

Wish I could afford to buy one of these new. Our first 4WD MPV was a used '91. Had 121,000 miles on it when we traded and never gave us any serious trouble. We traded for used 96 MPV 4WD. So far the 96 has had no problems either and it has 94,000 miles on it now. I feel very secure in this vehicle. It has a quality feel to it. It's been hit twice with relatively minor damage. I was told they are hard to find used because nobody wants to let go of them. If they don't make more this one will probably die of old age.

Favorite Features

Roomy. We take the middle seats out because there are two of us. This leaves lots of space for luggage, coolers, groceries, etc. Love the 4WD shift on the fly. I need it for my driveway especially in the winter. The rear heater and airconditioning are a wonderful feature too.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower. Heater could warm up a little faster. And PLEASE start manufacturing them again.