1996 Mazda MPV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Bessy is reliable
By gallatea on 08/01/07 12:33 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

I bought my MPV from an elderly couple when she was already 9 years old. People scoffed at me for doing so. I am laughing all the way to the bank. I had a tune up and timing belt replacement done initially and new tires - expensive, but worth every penny. She's been on a cross country trip and has transported many heavy things, many times. Everytime I think she's a geeky vehicle, I am reminded how roomy and comfy she is again and again. Almost 12 years old now and never had a mechanical problem yet (or an interior problem). Paint is in very good condition too, still glistens with a wax. Best road trip vehicle I've ever had. Great in wet weather too.

mpv
By Grant on 05/09/06 19:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

Well built and solid road feel. Smooth running engine. Interior with good quality components. Exceptionally good four wheel disk brakes.

Unbelievable Vehicle
By Jim on 06/07/05 22:14 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MPV DX 4dr Minivan

I bought our '96 Mazda MPV in Sept. 2003 with 145,000 miles on it. Today it has 202,000 and is still going strong. I have only had to replace the starter, spark plug wires, belt tensioner and just recently the radiator. That's it. It runs like a clock. It is quite comfortable. I drive it for 10-12 hours at a stretch and have no problems. I saw the identical vehicle in a parking lot today and sought out the owner to see if he was interested in selling. I would buy another today if I had the chance.

ma05
By GG on 02/02/05 15:20 PM (PST)

1996 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan

a good solid minivan well designed. good size for around town

GOOD JOB MAZDA
By reliablevan on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan 4WD

the van is too reliable beside routine maintanence this is the most reliable car i have ever owned

Totally Dependable
By Rep On The Road on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan 4WD

This was my 3rd MPV beginning with a '90 which had the floor mounted manual trans - probably the best of the lot! - followed by a '93 and now this vehicle which I have driven for almost 8 years. Overall, a really dependable vehicle with just one vice, the tension device on the timing belt. All 3 vehicles had to have this tiny, costly item replaced...usually around 60K+ when the recommended timing belt replacement was made. Too bad that Mazda no longer sees a need for 4WD in the current Soccer Mom limousine.......

First Cross-over Vehicle
By ceprise on 06/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan 4WD

Mazda didn't realize it, but these were the first crossover vehicles. Mini- van, SUV, stationwagon? We bought our 96 in 02, with 49K pampered miles from a nice Russian couple. They were moving on up to a Highlander. My local Mazda dealer told me that these 96-98 MPVs were never on his lot, as owners either kept or sold private. Our '96 is now in the shop for a +92k rebuild. Timing belt and water pump replacemant, front U-joint boots, motor and tranny fluid replacement. It'll run about $800-900 bucks. Well worth the price! I just had a '99 Concorde 2.7L DIE at 98K of crankshaft failure. I'll pamper my 96 MPV, Thank You! I popped in E-Bay 6-CD,it rock

Satisfied owner
By Travler on 05/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan

A very reliable vehicle. Handling could be much better. Ride could be better. Noise in interior is above average. Good fuel economy and uses regular. Paint and interior held up well. Over all a very good vehicle.

1996 Mazda MPV
By ldotson2 on 04/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda MPV ES 4dr Minivan 4WD

I recently changed from working within one mile of my home to working forty- five miles away. I had no hesitation in driving my 1996 MPV Allsport 4WD with 110,000 miles on it. As a matter of fact we had a sudden snowstorm here in Nashville with considerable snowfall and my four-wheel drive and my overdrive Off button worked absolutely perfectly. My husband has a Mazda B4000,1994 with 171,000 miles on it. We love them!

MPV fan for life
By 4WDMPVfan on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda MPV DX 4dr Minivan

Wish I could afford to buy one of these new. Our first 4WD MPV was a used '91. Had 121,000 miles on it when we traded and never gave us any serious trouble. We traded for used 96 MPV 4WD. So far the 96 has had no problems either and it has 94,000 miles on it now. I feel very secure in this vehicle. It has a quality feel to it. It's been hit twice with relatively minor damage. I was told they are hard to find used because nobody wants to let go of them. If they don't make more this one will probably die of old age.