Great 4x4 van
By GWiz on
1995 Mazda MPV LX 3dr Minivan 4WD
Can't say enough about this great van. It had about 50,000 miles on it when I bought it to replace my awd multi van. 150,000 miles later it's going as strong as it did the day I bought it. Poor power to weight ratio was solved with a K&N air filter, 3" exhaust system w/low restriction (throaty) muffler and NGK V-groove plugs. The options of 2wd, awd (with transfer case locked) and 4x4 with both trabsfer case and axles locked has gotten me thru anything a cold Winnipeg, Manitoba winter could throw at it. Long trips like 3x to Florida (2000+ miles) and out to BC over the Rockies (about 1800 m) twice along with oddles of shorter (200 to 500 miles) trips make it worth every dollar spent.
Favorite Features
awd/4x4 as you need it, overall comfort and reliability, the confidence this van inspires to get to your destination in whatever weather thrown at you. No worries driving a 7 pass van. "Sleeper" looks on wet or icy pavement if in wrong lane across a light.
Suggested Improvements
Fourth side door and more powerful engine (as in the 96 and beyond) vans. Build this van again with 21st century features and power and Mazda would be untouched in the 7 passenger crossover segment. A "just right" people (and payload) hauler it truly would be even today.
By gengro
on 12/23/10 22:54 PM (PST)

BooHoo - I made the mistake of selling it and now having to replace it... It was a second vehicle that did everything and more that I ever wanted it to do... My current Sienna AWD van is great, so my thinking was "I don't need 2 vans", but, laying out the money to get an AWD/4x4 anything to replace it isn't proving to be easy... $$$$