Used 1992 Mazda MPV Base Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Mazda Mpv - Consumer Reviews

1992 Mazda MPV Minivan

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Last of The Best
By 3.0 3dr MiniVan

1992 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought this van as a second car fixer-upper. I was surprised at the 3.0 engine coming back to life with a new a/c compressor, cooling system transplant, new belts, and hoses, and a simple tune-up. This mpv has a power button transmission option for towing trailers which I had serviced for $43. Has enough room for my family of 5 to travel around Florida at easy with our luggage. Great van, truck & addition to our family. I recommend this mpv van renovation to any family who wants a minivan/truck 4 under $6000.

Favorite Features

this van is like being on vacation all of the time! the 3.0liter v6, power option towing auto transmission, removable rear seats,seating that transforms to a big bed,plenty of room for the whole family and a guest or two. roof top rack with tie-downs.

Suggested Improvements

remake this van today for those that do not have the knowledge to renovate an old van.

A great all around van
By seattle pi

1992 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan

I've had own many people movers and haulers. This van meets all the requirements of an all around vehicle. Very reliable and ergonomically pleasant to be in. With today's prices on a used version, this minivan is a great buy. Definitely the best "bang for the buck" that I've gotten out of a automobile! Kudos to Mazda!

Favorite Features

Simple, yet functional design.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is great, but with today's gas prices, having a 50+ mpg version would really nice! =)

92 mazda, red, 2 wheel drive
By Larry K.

1992 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan

We bought this van in 1993, it had 21k on it. We were still elgible for the Mazda factory warranty, which came in handy a few times.I have had the oil changed faithfully every 3k miles with Castrol 10w30 motor oil.Other regular maintenance items have also been done to it. Also other items such as struts, shocks etc. have also been done. It now has over 227k on it, and still runs good. Of course it has had it's share of repairs that were not maintenance related,but overall pretty good.

Favorite Features

The turning radius is very good, it is easy to park, it hold 7 adults pretty comfortablly

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if it had more room between the rear seat and the back of the van for groceries.

4.5 out of 5
By Andrewhan

1992 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought this MPV last year and added 10,000 KM on the car. Compared to other friend's experience, I only do regular oil changes and the only two fixes I did are: 1. steeling pipe broken (rusted after 10 years) 2. Shortcut after 3000 KM driving. A very good car to keep. 4.5 out of 5.

Favorite Features

no extra problem

Suggested Improvements

the car's situation is mostly depending on how you maintain it.

Well-built minivan
By timski

1992 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan

Bought ours used about 2 years ago with 103k miles. Fit and finish are still excellent, everything works. Handling is solid and neutral - good tires make a big difference. Typically makes 18mpg in town which isn't bad considering engine size and weight of vehicle. Smooth ride, good ergonomics for driver (except cruise control location on dash!). The engine on ours occasionally has fairly loud valvetrain noise - apparently a problem with this model year. Dealer had fixed it once before we owned it, but it's back. Everything else so far has been bulletproof - AC, brakes, transmission.

Favorite Features

Good ride, comfortable seats. Excellent visibility for driver. Great stereo for a factory unit. Small outside dimensions, tight steering radius make it easy to park

Suggested Improvements

Stronger, quieter engine (often tempted to transplant the one from our Chevy Astro). Faster steering ratio. Any other wants have been fixed in later models (additional back door, roll-down windows).