Used 1990 Mazda MPV Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Quality car
By wkb

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan

When we bought this care from a private party, it hadn't been well cared for. It wasn't garaged and it had some body rust on the roof. Within a year it required a 'mini- overhaul' at about $4,000. But, we loved how it drove and the power was good for the size of the car. Since that first repair, we've only had one other incident: the guides and pulleys for the engine belt assembly failed and shredded the belt on a trip. Fortunately, Mazda engines shut down when that happens (some don't and the engine is destroyed). We had the roof replaced, the exterior completely repaired and we repainted it the original 'sand mica'. The engine runs strong. We're keeping it!

Interior materials and workmanship are superior quality; exterior car panels feel 'thicker' than our other cars have been; "Hold" button on directional signal arm keeps downhill speed constant by downshifting and upshifting depending on decent; gas mileage is good(25 mpg hwy)for this size car.

Engine roars like a 747 at startup, then quiets down; valve arms (tappits?) make loud clicking noise (can't be helped very much by oil additives); needs another side door on driver side for back seat entry.

Good Van
By Bruce

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan 4WD

I have had over 40 cars and never thought I would end up with a van. It just has become comfortable like an old pair of shoes. Reliable, rattle free and cozy. Transmission is the worst. 3 in 134,000 mi. Oh how I wish I had bought a 5 speed. They are near impossible to find but if I do...

4 wheel option. Heater will melt your gold rings, dual air freezes.

Should have built a better tranny or 50% 5 speeds. Mileage could be better as well as brakes.

Built for the long haul!
By MPVeee

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan 4WD

Bought the '90 MPV in '94 with 94,000 miles on it. It now has 203,000 with very few issues. I've had some really odd problems that were fairly easy to fix. 1. Lost all coolant once, (bad hose). 2. Snapped a timing belt just after replacement (tensioner pulley went south). 3. Distributer "module" died while traveling 65 mph. All issues after 150,000 miles. All of these were no big deal really. I wish they would have continued this style of MPV - I'd keep buying them without hesitation.

Fun to drive! Great for trips to IKEA and the like.

Make the Tribute look more like the MPV!

A good car for its price range
By glorric

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

For its age and size, the Mazda MPV is a great little car. Depending upon how well maintained it is, the vehicle can get up to 18mpg while holding 7 passengers. A reliable car, however it is terrible to work on. At least on the V6 model, even changing the spark plugs requires several extensions on your ratchets. All things considered, it holds up better than an Aerostar, and looks nicer too. It's good in a crash for the people inside, but even a small collision will total this vehicle. Strengths: holds 7 passengers comfortably, safe, compact, easy to drive. Weaknesses: sluggish acceleration, difficult to work on, handles poorly in snow (for RWD models).

The back end is customizable to accommodate whatever load you put in it, the seats fold down to an almost flat position, and the rear seat can also fold up to give the cargo area more space. The car heats up fast in cold weather, and has numerous little goodies tucked away inside it.

Being an older vehicle, it's going to need some parts if you choose to buy one. I myself had to replace the starter, all the belts, front rotors and brakes, and rear brakes. Just make sure as to the condition the vehicle is in before you buy it. Check to see what work the previous owner had done.

When it breaks, I'll sell it...
By karll22

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan

260,000 plus miles. Bought it new. 4cylinder automatic. No problems I couldn't fix myself, although I'm a mechanical engineer by training. Hasn't been babied, but never abused, either. Used as a daily driver to ferry kids and cargo, and commute. Little rust for its age. Interior, except for stained floormats, is almost as new. Everything still works. Tires, belts, hoses, plugs/wires, shocks/struts, brakes, and battery have been replaced. An ignition module and radiator were the only significant failures. Hoping to find a late model "tall wagon" as a replacement that'll give as good of service.

Handling, reliability, body integrity.Big 4 cylinder engine that is relatively accessible.

Make the new products reliable and energy efficient. Maximum horsepower ratings shouldn't be more important than energy efficiency and low end torque.[Torque is what you use and feel,horsepower is what you calculate] Make mechanical & electrical components accessible and inexpensively serviceable.