1990 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
Quality car
By wkb on 09/29/09 20:30 PM (PDT)

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan

When we bought this care from a private party, it hadn't been well cared for. It wasn't garaged and it had some body rust on the roof. Within a year it required a 'mini- overhaul' at about $4,000. But, we loved how it drove and the power was good for the size of the car. Since that first repair, we've only had one other incident: the guides and pulleys for the engine belt assembly failed and shredded the belt on a trip. Fortunately, Mazda engines shut down when that happens (some don't and the engine is destroyed). We had the roof replaced, the exterior completely repaired and we repainted it the original 'sand mica'. The engine runs strong. We're keeping it!

Good Van
By Bruce on 12/14/08 13:20 PM (PST)

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan 4WD

I have had over 40 cars and never thought I would end up with a van. It just has become comfortable like an old pair of shoes. Reliable, rattle free and cozy. Transmission is the worst. 3 in 134,000 mi. Oh how I wish I had bought a 5 speed. They are near impossible to find but if I do...

Built for the long haul!
By MPVeee on 03/26/06 18:45 PM (PST)

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan 4WD

Bought the '90 MPV in '94 with 94,000 miles on it. It now has 203,000 with very few issues. I've had some really odd problems that were fairly easy to fix. 1. Lost all coolant once, (bad hose). 2. Snapped a timing belt just after replacement (tensioner pulley went south). 3. Distributer "module" died while traveling 65 mph. All issues after 150,000 miles. All of these were no big deal really. I wish they would have continued this style of MPV - I'd keep buying them without hesitation.

A good car for its price range
By glorric on 11/16/05 16:46 PM (PST)

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan LX 3dr Minivan

For its age and size, the Mazda MPV is a great little car. Depending upon how well maintained it is, the vehicle can get up to 18mpg while holding 7 passengers. A reliable car, however it is terrible to work on. At least on the V6 model, even changing the spark plugs requires several extensions on your ratchets. All things considered, it holds up better than an Aerostar, and looks nicer too. It's good in a crash for the people inside, but even a small collision will total this vehicle. Strengths: holds 7 passengers comfortably, safe, compact, easy to drive. Weaknesses: sluggish acceleration, difficult to work on, handles poorly in snow (for RWD models).

When it breaks, I'll sell it...
By karll22 on 11/27/04 14:49 PM (PST)

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan

260,000 plus miles. Bought it new. 4cylinder automatic. No problems I couldn't fix myself, although I'm a mechanical engineer by training. Hasn't been babied, but never abused, either. Used as a daily driver to ferry kids and cargo, and commute. Little rust for its age. Interior, except for stained floormats, is almost as new. Everything still works. Tires, belts, hoses, plugs/wires, shocks/struts, brakes, and battery have been replaced. An ignition module and radiator were the only significant failures. Hoping to find a late model "tall wagon" as a replacement that'll give as good of service.

SOLID!
By Hud on 11/09/04 12:06 PM (PST)

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan 4WD

Reliable to a fault,(I like to tinker), the light bulbs don't even burn out! This 4X4 is as solid as new and has turned out to be a good fiend. Now for the "but"...the MPG SUCKS!!! and I live in So. Cal so it hurts.

Still Going and Going and Going and.....
By Anibal on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan 4WD

My parents bought the 4X4 MPV with only 5,000 in 1992. Since then it has been fairily reliable. The transmission burn out the 2nd time in 1998 and our mechanic desided to buy an used transmission and viola!!! he found one from a wreked Nissan Pathfinder and haven't give any trouble sincce then. This is the perfect car for college and for the beach too. The space behind the rearmost seat is scarce but is a nice combination between passenger space and handy proportions. The quality of the interior is outstanding, after 14 years the datshboard looks just like new and the fabrics are in great shape to. Try to say that from a Chrysler minivan.

Owned since New
By DaMacGreenGuy on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan

We have had the van since the birth of our third son. I like it because it is a 5 speed and is very comfortable. We recently replaced the engine with 55800 miles (90000 km). I also prefer it to a new one because it has no airbags. It has been annually rustproofed and has little rust.

OLD FAITHFULL
By GARY AND FRIENDS on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan 4WD

THE DESIGN FOR THE TIMING BELT IS NOT THE BEST: HAD TO REPLACE IT 3 TIMES DUE TO PULLEYS FAILING (AFTER 115000 MILES) DID ALL THE WORK MYSELF OTHERWISE IT WOULD HAVE COST ME AN ARM AND A LEG. VALVE COVER LEAK AROUND 95000 MILES, AFTER THAT NO MORE LEAKS. THAT IS TO ME EXCEPTIONAL SINCE ALL MY OTHER "OLD CARS" LEAKS. AT 135000 MILES IT IS IN PERFECT MECHANICAL CONDITION. DOES NOT BURN ANY OIL. FUSSY ABOUT TYPE OF ENGINE OIL OR VALVES WILL KNOCK. (uSE ONLY HAVOLINE 10W30 OR VALVOLINE HIGH MILEAGE.

The best Mini Van ever made
By Bob M. on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda MPV Minivan 3dr Minivan

I've owned many cars in my 30 years of driving. This car is the absolute best in reliability. With 144,000 miles I think this car will never die. I did all of the maintenance myself which was minor. Oil Changes, Spark Plugs, Brakes, a rear axle seal went at 33K, rear air shocks, alternator, battery, tires. This car has towed my 2500lb trailer every summer all over the northeast with no problems. I was sorry to see that Mazda decided to make it a front wheel drive in recent years. I have never gotten stuck in the snow even with just 2wd.