Used 2002 Mazda Millenia Premium Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Millenia Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Millenia model:

2002 Millenia
By alwayssunny

2002 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car with 137k miles on it and kept it for almost 5 years. This is a luxury car and is expensive to repair. I recommend financing a certified car if you want this. Something had to be changed every few months and it usually cost north of $1000. I spent around $2000 (and even more) every year to keep this car on the road. Parts are overpriced ($330 per engine mount is insane and there are 4 of them!). The check engine light is a huge issue with this car. As it ages, many exhaust components need to be changed (vacuum lines, egr port, catalytic converters, o2 sensors...the list goes on). I can only recommend this car to a mechanic or someone with deep pockets. It loves maintenance.

My favorite feature was the sunroof but that died at around 150,000 miles. Also liked the electric tilt steering wheel but that died way before the sunroof. My favorite working feature was the speakers. Pretty nice sound system even though I didn't have the bose upgrade.

Well, this car is no longer in production and for an excellent reason. It is a nightmare to maintain. My suggestion to Mazda is, if they are going to ever venture into the luxury car segment that they really take their time and deliver a reliable product. People expect their luxury cars to be more reliable due to the price tag. The exhaust system on this car needs a complete overhaul. It is plagued with problems. The check engine light shouldn't be a constant recurring issue. Also, the electrical components in this car need to be rethought. I do realize that my car lived well beyond 150,000 miles, but the amount of things that started breaking beyond that is mind boggling.

2002 Mazda Millenia
By jwanzer

2002 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I do not like this car and i do not recamend it unless you have a lot of money. This is my first car and i got it for my 16th birthday. I have spend around $2000 getting repairs done on it and I have only had it for about a year and half. It is terrible on gas. Since i have got the car i have has to replace the timing belt, change the radiator, all the spark plugs, the thermostat, the cords too the spark plugs and more. It coast way to much to get fixed and the check engine light has be on constantly, no matter what i get done it will not go off. Although it is a nice car I do not reccomend it to anyone. Also something is still wrong with the car and it wont even run now.

The car looks really nice on the inside and out.

Great Value
By Victoria

2002 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I am just about to finalize the purchase my second Millenia today. My first was a 1999 (2.5 L, not the S) which had 30k miles when purchased, used as a daily driver and sold with approx 130k miles, still strong expect for bad rear mail seal. Wonderful car aside from eventually developing the leaking rear main seal which these cars are notorious for. Luxury at a fraction of the cost and very dependable for the most part. If you can find one with low miles that hasn't been abused BUY IT.

Exterior styling, various standard luxury amenities, smooth ride, great overall value, not too many on the road so you feel special when driving

Rear main seal/oil leaks are pretty much inevitable, premium fuel recommendation increases cost of driving, seal on driver door/window will need replacing, temp gauge goes out too soon, seat heater & tilt wheel fuses constant prob

Mazda Millenia
By frankie

2002 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 2008, very good mileage 72,900. Love this car handles great good gas mileage looks great. Wish they bring them back 2011.

Good used value, but no Toyonda
By Nick Naylor

2002 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Good value used...bought the car real cheap, and since it looks like a Lexus and has similar interior craftsmanship it is a great value. Very comfortable seats. Nicely equipped. Good brakes and nice handling. A joy to drive on windy roads. However, not all is well. Transmission needed replacement at 65k miles. Even after replacement, 1-2 shift is somewhat harsh, a seemingly common issue with this car (does not lead to long term confidence). Check Engine light is perennially on (EGR Valve). slight oil and coolant leaks. Previous owner or subpar reliability in general? In general, a comfortable nice car that is not a paragon of Japanese quality.

Interior design, comfortable seats, flat handling, very comfortable cruiser.

more driver legroom (I'm 6'4"). Needs a more reliable & smoother powertrain. Premium gas and mediocre fuel economy is a pain...I drive a 4x4 SUV also that in the end, per mile, barely costs more to fuel than the Mazda (5 mpg less, but regular gas).