Used 2002 Mazda Millenia Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Millenia - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda Millenia Sedan

View reviews for a specific Millenia model:

2002 Millenia
By alwayssunny

2002 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car with 137k miles on it and kept it for almost 5 years. This is a luxury car and is expensive to repair. I recommend financing a certified car if you want this. Something had to be changed every few months and it usually cost north of $1000. I spent around $2000 (and even more) every year to keep this car on the road. Parts are overpriced ($330 per engine mount is insane and there are 4 of them!). The check engine light is a huge issue with this car. As it ages, many exhaust components need to be changed (vacuum lines, egr port, catalytic converters, o2 sensors...the list goes on). I can only recommend this car to a mechanic or someone with deep pockets. It loves maintenance.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature was the sunroof but that died at around 150,000 miles. Also liked the electric tilt steering wheel but that died way before the sunroof. My favorite working feature was the speakers. Pretty nice sound system even though I didn't have the bose upgrade.

Suggested Improvements

Well, this car is no longer in production and for an excellent reason. It is a nightmare to maintain. My suggestion to Mazda is, if they are going to ever venture into the luxury car segment that they really take their time and deliver a reliable product. People expect their luxury cars to be more reliable due to the price tag. The exhaust system on this car needs a complete overhaul. It is plagued with problems. The check engine light shouldn't be a constant recurring issue. Also, the electrical components in this car need to be rethought. I do realize that my car lived well beyond 150,000 miles, but the amount of things that started breaking beyond that is mind boggling.

2002 Mazda Mellinia S
By vijaykumar

2002 Mazda Millenia Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought the car new in 2002 & still have it with 75000.00 miles. It is a wonderful car with beautiful a design. I have had no problems at all with this car . Although newer cars have a lot more gadgets , I am satisfied with what i have . It has a good power & the gas mile is OK for the amount of driving i do.Because of this car I will definitely consider a Mazda if I decide to buy another vehicle although a hatch would make more sense.

2002 Mazda Millenia
By jwanzer

2002 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I do not like this car and i do not recamend it unless you have a lot of money. This is my first car and i got it for my 16th birthday. I have spend around $2000 getting repairs done on it and I have only had it for about a year and half. It is terrible on gas. Since i have got the car i have has to replace the timing belt, change the radiator, all the spark plugs, the thermostat, the cords too the spark plugs and more. It coast way to much to get fixed and the check engine light has be on constantly, no matter what i get done it will not go off. Although it is a nice car I do not reccomend it to anyone. Also something is still wrong with the car and it wont even run now.

Favorite Features

The car looks really nice on the inside and out.

Expensive to fix and maintain
By carena

2002 Mazda Millenia Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Just purchased this car for college aged daughter. Purchased from a private party in a state that does not require emission inspections (Ohio). Car drove like a dream; ext. and int. were in great shape for a 10 yr. old car. It had a reasonable amount of mileage (121,000). The owner mentioned the check engine light was on but their mechanic could'nt diagnose the problem. Needless to say, after purchasing the car, taking it to Pa for inspection...it failed miserably! $2300.00 later! change the catalytic converters; fix broken seal on transmission; change a light bulb (requires front bumper to be removed!). Pretty car....but way too expensive to maintain! Buy only if you have $$$ to fix.

Favorite Features

Plenty of leg room. All the fun luxury gadgets. Large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Too expensive to fix...

Great car!
By Grampa

2002 Mazda Millenia Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought this car used - 2 years old with 26,000 miles. I've now had it for 6 years and have had only tires and brakes needing replacement. It's been a great car and I love driving it. Just wish it was a bit better on mileage, but can't complain, 'cause it really gets up and goes!