2001 Mazda Millenia Sedan Consumer Reviews

2001 Mazda Millenia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Millenia model:

2001 Millenia Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Projected Reliability
By mestratus

2001 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car from the showroom - Brand new it looked inviting, but as it turned out, everything that could go wrong...went wrong - I had to have constant expensive repairs - Right after the warranty ran out, I purchased another warranty costing 2,000.00 for another 5 years, but the auto adjustable steering column jammed and none of it was covered - Costs over 600.00 to repair - The engine (problem) light has spent more time being on, than off - Just about everything that you can replace on an engine, had to be replaced - The catalytic converter has to be replaced at a cost of over 2,000.00 again ! - And all this well before the car has 60,000 miles on it - Projected reliability ???

Favorite Features

I will be purchasing a new Toyota in the very near future

Suggested Improvements

I tried to express my disappointment at such a poor performance for an automobile that didn't have that much mileage, purchased new from Martin Mazda, who has always done all my service, when service was required...to the Mazda company themselves and was basically told; 'too bad...your warranty had ended' - Trying to express the fact that a car shouldn't have that many mechanical problems with the low amount of mileage it had...these are the extenuating circumstances, that maybe they could give me a bit of consideration that I really should get, considering I paid well over 30,000 for it ! - I would definitely not recommend purchasing a Mazda due to their great lack of concern for customers

Great Car
By lilred100

2001 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with 120k, drove 2 years and 20k miles before car was totaled by insurance company. Did well in the accident, no injuries despite driver's side impact. Fun to drive, sporty, sharp rims, great stereo. Minor, inexpensive repairs: thermostat, motor mounts and a fuse. A/C compressor was starting to go out. Visor mirror and one vent cover came unglued otherwise interior looked almost new. Took on lots of highway trips for work and did great at high speeds, comfortable on long drives. Adjustable seats and steering wheel give a good custom fit for the driver. My mechanic said it was a great car, I would buy another mazda in a heartbeat. Got about 18/24 mpg.

Favorite Features

Stereo, leather, rims, sunroof, comfortable seats (fully adjustable up/down and back and forth), reliable, safe.

Suggested Improvements

Interior heating/cooling controls are a little counter-intuitive. Car could be higher off the ground- have to go very, very slow over bumps and it is not fun in rain storms with lots of standing water.

don't buy this car
By jay

2001 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

don;t buy buy a mazda millenia , i got this car brand new and after 2 years i had the engine light on so every times is a new problem w this horrible car ,trams, censors, power doors , leaks, and all kind of problems i sold my mazda to junk for 300 cause i dint wanna pay more money , buy a honda or toyota ,

Suggested Improvements

this is a junk car there is no improvements that can fix this horrible car

engine lights
By ELAINE HARVILL-GREAT

2001 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

i love my mazda except for all the engine lights coming on even though nothing is wrong with my car. It still cost alot every time I take it to the dealership. Like $1000.It only stays off a few months. Now both the engine light and the air bag light are both on. I have75000 miles on my car and this has happened about 10 times. I would NOT recommend it or buy another for this reason.

Suggested Improvements

FIX THE ENGINE LIGHTS, SO THEY DON'T COME ON EVERY 6MOS.,

still love it after all of these years
By rocco

2001 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new in 01 and have about 105000 miles on it. I still love it! It's a sharp looking car and extremely comfortable, even for someone pretty large (6'2", 300) No major repairs, just fairly normal maintenance. The steering wheel that automatically raises when you take the key out and lowers to your pre-selected driving position when you put the key in is getting fussy in cold weather and stays in the up position, but I've simply turned off the auto feature for the winter and will reset come springtime. I'll keep her until she falls apart around me.

Favorite Features

Sharp looking, comfortable, very nice stereo sound (and I don't have the Bose).

Suggested Improvements

Mazda should bring back a more "upscale" model. There are still plenty of Millenias on the road even though they haven't been made in the past 7 years or so. I know the Millenia sold well in my area (largely due to deep discounts), but it's a real beauty.

Positive comments all around.
By Bronson

2001 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

It's a shame Mazda stopped building the Millenia. I bought mine used and have put nearly 130,000 miles on it. It has given me no problems at all other than a Check Engine light that seems to think there's a problem. The drive is very satisfying; think of the Millenia as a big Miata. The ride is smooth and quiet and it is generally a very comfortable car. The interior is classy and it comes without the gimmicks of high-end technology. Storage space is good with enough cup holders for everybody and a wide trunk. A folding rear seat would be nice. Mazda did not put enough effort into marketing the Millenia and giving it a competitive price tag. I think it would have been a very successful car.

Favorite Features

Sexy profile, sporty handling, smooth ride, classy interior, comfortable cruiser even with 4 adults. Positive comments all around.

Suggested Improvements

Rough transmission, add more power and a folding rear seat. Two things that hurt Millenia's sales were a high price tag and a lack of a marketing campaign.

An excellent car
By Big Jake

2001 Mazda Millenia Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Other than the timing belt and IAC valve I have not had any problems with this car.It has a lot of pep for a tiny 2.3L V6,enough to entertain me on a boring day.

Favorite Features

standard side airbags,traction control, and abs.

Suggested Improvements

A 5 speed transmission (Automatic or Manual.) would have been nice. Intercoolers that are not in the engine compartment

THE Sport Sedan
By archway

2001 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Strangers often ask if it's a Jaguar! I love driving this car. Performs like a luxury car on the highway, but my favorite place to drive is a curvy country road. It knows how to hug a corner.

Favorite Features

The looks. Worry free driving... only normal maintenance issues.

Suggested Improvements

Heater control/fan control lacks logic.

Truly unique Vehicle
By Brook Landon

2001 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Ive owned my Mazda Millenia for about 5 years now. I bought it almost new with 11K miles. Now with 107K miles, my Milly is still going strong with only routine checkups, and the occasionally wear and tear maintenance that needed to be tended to. I love the color of my car, Sand mica with Oak interior, beautiful faux wood in-lay on center console. Up too this day I still get compliments on my vehicle. I also love the fact that you barely see them on the highway, so when people do see them, it's sort of an exclusive feeling of reaction. Mazda did an fantastic job on this exterior; fit and finish superb, oozes quality, too perfect detail.

Favorite Features

Premium sound system is great, actually I think it sounds better than the S models standard BOSE, exterior, smooth, quiet, cozy cabin.

Suggested Improvements

Could probably use a larger V6 for the size of the car, 1 touch feature sunroof.

Beware of Tranny
By coreyandj

2001 Mazda Millenia Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had this car about 1 year before tranny went out, and had it replaced. Mazda did help out though so I give them props. They paid for the tranny, and I paid for the labor. It was only 1,000 miles over warranty at the time. This car's interior and exterior is awesome, best bang for the buck. It really is a dog of the line, but 3rd gear and up performs ok. The rubber around the lights peels off. The paint has a defect in the side mirrors which causes them to chip off really bad. You can usually take them to Mazda and have it replaced for free. Oh, and the gas mileage of this car is horrid; check the forums. Everyone is complaining that their cars are getting nowhere near MPG that Mazda states.

Favorite Features

Interior design is great.

Suggested Improvements

Horrible tranny, mine may have to be replaced again after 70,000 miles. I also had knew someone and talked to him because we had same car. He said he had to replace his tranny twice as well.