Used 1999 Mazda Millenia S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mazda Millenia - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Millenia model:

Superb Quality and Fun
By CJAnderson

1999 Mazda Millenia S 4dr Sedan

This Mazda Millenia has been the most fun vehicle and the most reliable and overall inexpensive auto I have owned out of 10 drive-off-the-lot new cars. I will always consider Mazda first before looking to other cars. I can't praise this car enough for its dependability, beauty and pure fun in putting its horsepower to work. Everyone who rides in it is just amazed at the quality, beauty and toughness of its interior and can't get over its racehorse performance! I hope the next car I have to buy is even 70% of what I admire about this car.

Everything is luxurious and easy to maintain.

Bring this Millenia model luxury back in an updated version!

Mixed Bag
By fallingacorn

1999 Mazda Millenia S 4dr Sedan

I bought my Millenia S in Oct 2000. Love the low profile aluminum rims and sleek design. Ran for several years with almost no mechanical issues. At the 8 year mark (approx 115k miles), I have sunk thousands into it. Suspension is so bad, I feel like I'm sliding on the road. Smoke from tail pipe every morning. Check engine light relentlessly on and off. Oil leak. Security system messed up. Constant problems with rims and tires. 5 sets of new tires in 10 years. I was hoping to drive this car to 175k and beyond but it's done at 135k. What a shame it didn't hold up better. Drove a Maxima for 10 years and prefer that by a long shot.

sexy exterior look, heated seats, moon roof.

great but be prepared to spend
By kiko

1999 Mazda Millenia S 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and I loved it when I first bought it . The style is slick and unique. The only problem is the maintenance. It cost a lot of money to maintain and the check engine light comes on for everything. It is impossible to get the car to pass an inspection in new york!!! The car is very sensitive and cost a lot to maintain.

the exterior is unique

make the parts less expensive

SLEEPER
By FAST

1999 Mazda Millenia S 4dr Sedan

This is a beautiful, solid built car, but its very expensive to maintain. I've had problems with the catalytic converters and the check engine light. No repair or part is cheap on this car. The performance is great but unpredictable, the supercharger doesn't always kick in for some reason, but when it does, wow! This car will top out at 155 mph. It is smooth and steady, like a guided missile.

Supercharger-Styling-Ride-

Improved emissions equipment.

1999 Mazda Millenia S
By Supercharger

1999 Mazda Millenia S 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and have generally enjoyed it for 9 years. Contrary to what the handbook and one of the reviewers say, the supercharged engine runs fine on 87 octane; in fact it got worse mileage on 91 octane. My car currently has 84000 miles on it, and I just drove it in late summer (90+ degrees heat) to the Outer Banks. It ran fine and provided excellent air conditioning the whole way. I followed Mazda's suggestion to replace the timing belt at 65000 miles and also had the water pump replaced (leaking). Oxygen sensors went out and a vacuum line popped off at 45000 and 50000 miles, respectively. Catalytic converter failed at 75000 miles (too early), for which Mazda picked up expense.

Good handling at highway speeds, smooth quiet ride (better than more expensive Mercedes-Benz models-- seriously). Quick response in rpm range of 2500-3500. Good air conditioning and heating. Great design that has 0.28 coefficient of drag. reasonable gas mileage (still averages 21 city/25 highway).

Seating needs lumbar support. Turn radius in tight parking is big. Paint job could be better since it seemed to get "water" spots under the clear coat in the first few years (kept outside). The supercharged engine is nice but don't be fooled about what a great gas saver it is. Clunky transmission.