1999 Mazda Millenia Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mazda Millenia - Consumer Reviews

1999 Millenia Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Millenia model:

Sort Reviews by

99' Mazda Millinia
By mrm2u2004

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

Can't say enough about reliability, I bought it new and it still drives with the performance as the day I drove it off the lot. I have 180K miles and still going. Never let me down on the highway. over 12yrs the only things that I have had to replace was an alternator after 70K miles, radiator after 130Kmiles, timing belt after 150kmiles, all other maintenance was routine done by myself such as brakes and oil changes. Great buy only regret is seating is low and now highway noise...but after 12 yrs who can complain!

unique
By MLong

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

while I've only owned my milly for a month, I have always admired them for their very unique look. I'm a Mazda "fanboi" anyways and have owned several over the course of my life. the first thing I noticed about this car is that it would be exceptionally easy for me to work on myself as its engine is very similar to the MX-6 powerplant, which Ive owned 2 of and still own one today. the 2.5l engine is not expensive to maintain, but the 2.3l S engine certainly is. you will read several sites saying to watch for trans failures, that is mostly centered around the S model, not the non-S model. I'm planning on keeping this car for some time as I absolutely love it.

Favorite Features

just about everything, but mostly the body style, its not as "boxy" looking as its "peers" of the same timeline. definitely has a character that is all its own.

Suggested Improvements

bring it back with taller gearing to give it better mpg. 27/28 isn't bad for a 6 cyl, but the engine can certainly handle lower RPM. make a 2 door coupe version, name it the millenia X6, w/ optional 6 speed manual :D

Nice Car
By NICE CAR

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used from a family friend with 100,000 miles drove it for 3 years to 174,000 with no problems still sad it died in a accident. I am looking for another one after a great expirence with my first. Only issue was check engine light on for no reason.

Favorite Features

People always think its a Lexus, lookis fantastic in pearl white with a tan bottom

Suggested Improvements

cold weather package

Superb Quality and Fun
By CJAnderson

1999 Mazda Millenia S 4dr Sedan

This Mazda Millenia has been the most fun vehicle and the most reliable and overall inexpensive auto I have owned out of 10 drive-off-the-lot new cars. I will always consider Mazda first before looking to other cars. I can't praise this car enough for its dependability, beauty and pure fun in putting its horsepower to work. Everyone who rides in it is just amazed at the quality, beauty and toughness of its interior and can't get over its racehorse performance! I hope the next car I have to buy is even 70% of what I admire about this car.

Favorite Features

Everything is luxurious and easy to maintain.

Suggested Improvements

Bring this Millenia model luxury back in an updated version!

1999 Base Model Millenia
By Robert OBrien

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for more than 7 years and 100K miles after buying it used with 40K miles. At 150K, small problems are creeping in like Power Steering Pump and CV boots, but before now I have done nothing but brakes, tires and belts. Great car that feels solid and provides great value compared to other cars in this segment. This is my families 4th mazda and all have reached 150K or more with little to no problems. AC system is the best I've ever seen!!!

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, dash layout, Air conditioning system

Suggested Improvements

Hoping for slightly better mileage since I drive like an old lady

Still happy!
By Diane

1999 Mazda Millenia 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Mazda Millenia new in 1999. It has been reliable and is still fun to drive! My previous car was a Mazda 626, had that for 9 years (106,00 miles)and because of how well it held up, I knew I would want another Mazda. The Millenia's style still turns heads. Nobody can believe I've had it 10 years. Gas mileage is around 20-24mpg. For the past several years, my husband will ask me if I'm ready to trade her in, but I have said no. I still enjoy my Mazda!

Favorite Features

Stylish, great sound system, leather interior, good gas mileage, it's reliable!

Mixed Bag
By fallingacorn

1999 Mazda Millenia S 4dr Sedan

I bought my Millenia S in Oct 2000. Love the low profile aluminum rims and sleek design. Ran for several years with almost no mechanical issues. At the 8 year mark (approx 115k miles), I have sunk thousands into it. Suspension is so bad, I feel like I'm sliding on the road. Smoke from tail pipe every morning. Check engine light relentlessly on and off. Oil leak. Security system messed up. Constant problems with rims and tires. 5 sets of new tires in 10 years. I was hoping to drive this car to 175k and beyond but it's done at 135k. What a shame it didn't hold up better. Drove a Maxima for 10 years and prefer that by a long shot.

Favorite Features

sexy exterior look, heated seats, moon roof.

great but be prepared to spend
By kiko

1999 Mazda Millenia S 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and I loved it when I first bought it . The style is slick and unique. The only problem is the maintenance. It cost a lot of money to maintain and the check engine light comes on for everything. It is impossible to get the car to pass an inspection in new york!!! The car is very sensitive and cost a lot to maintain.

Favorite Features

the exterior is unique

Suggested Improvements

make the parts less expensive

SLEEPER
By FAST

1999 Mazda Millenia S 4dr Sedan

This is a beautiful, solid built car, but its very expensive to maintain. I've had problems with the catalytic converters and the check engine light. No repair or part is cheap on this car. The performance is great but unpredictable, the supercharger doesn't always kick in for some reason, but when it does, wow! This car will top out at 155 mph. It is smooth and steady, like a guided missile.

Favorite Features

Supercharger-Styling-Ride-

Suggested Improvements

Improved emissions equipment.

1999 Mazda Millenia S
By Supercharger

1999 Mazda Millenia S 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and have generally enjoyed it for 9 years. Contrary to what the handbook and one of the reviewers say, the supercharged engine runs fine on 87 octane; in fact it got worse mileage on 91 octane. My car currently has 84000 miles on it, and I just drove it in late summer (90+ degrees heat) to the Outer Banks. It ran fine and provided excellent air conditioning the whole way. I followed Mazda's suggestion to replace the timing belt at 65000 miles and also had the water pump replaced (leaking). Oxygen sensors went out and a vacuum line popped off at 45000 and 50000 miles, respectively. Catalytic converter failed at 75000 miles (too early), for which Mazda picked up expense.

Favorite Features

Good handling at highway speeds, smooth quiet ride (better than more expensive Mercedes-Benz models-- seriously). Quick response in rpm range of 2500-3500. Good air conditioning and heating. Great design that has 0.28 coefficient of drag. reasonable gas mileage (still averages 21 city/25 highway).

Suggested Improvements

Seating needs lumbar support. Turn radius in tight parking is big. Paint job could be better since it seemed to get "water" spots under the clear coat in the first few years (kept outside). The supercharged engine is nice but don't be fooled about what a great gas saver it is. Clunky transmission.