Just what I wanted
By rockinkuwait on
2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I wanted a used Speed3, but ended up going new as there were only 2 used pre-owned Mazdaspeed3's in the state when I started car shopping. It has been everything I've wanted. Currently commuting to work and it even does that well (avg 28 mpg, and most is a little two lane highway where I have the power to pass in this). Lots of fun, no problems at all mechanically so far and 40 thousand miles into the car, I still smile every time I drive it. Only issue I had was wishing you could pick something other than summer only tires if you live in colorado, though I did manage on those through two winters...
Favorite Features
instant torque. I had a few integra's and this car really shows the difference between torque and just horsepower. Lots of fun in the curves. Mtn roads are just a blast to drive, and it sticks to the road. Nice interior. Kinda looks a little like a fighter jet threw up on the inside with all the controls, but put together cleanly Functional. I fit an 8' ladder in this thing, 3 dogs once, 500 lbs of potting soil... fold down those back seats and there's piles of room. Oh, I am 6'2" and sit in this thing just fine. If someone short is up front that includes the backseats. Headroom is great
Suggested Improvements
Not sure why Edmunds says the negatives are torque steer (don't push the gas so hard, it's like saying things come at you too fast is an issue with a Buggatti Veyron...) And I love that there is no automatic for this car. Same with the sedan. It's a hot hatch for a reason. Three things I was looking for in this car, not entirely sensible negatives. Only thing I would have negative to say is that the fuel mileage indicator is VERY optimistic. It will show me having 450 miles of range, and on an 11-12 gallon tank, not even holding at the perfect speed all day could I hit that or get even close (seriously, it thinks you will get 40+ mpg when you fill it up).