First Mazda, or Japanese car for that matter.
By chriskojali on
2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I'm a performance guy...I don't care about horsepower but driving dynamics mean everything to me. My last 10 cars have been several M3s, a couple Audis, and a GTI. The easy choice would've been another GTI and I would be quite content. But I took a chance on the Speed3 and I'm ecstatic I did. This car has excellent handling and the monster torque steer (hard to handle under hard acceleration) is kind of endearing...you know you need to pay attention when you press the GO! pedal. I'm not a fan of the interior, especially when compared to an Audi, but it works and is growing on me. The styling is a bit 'out there' but it's growing on me too. You won't see yourself coming down the road.
Favorite Features
Without a doubt, the favorite features is the drivetrain. The engine is nearly perfect and the 6 speed manual is as well. I like that this car has more power and better numbers than a Porsche Boxster with a ton more versatility (obviously two different cars). And you can get 30mpg on the highway if you lay off the boost.
Suggested Improvements
This is not a suggested improvement as this is the way Mazda builds their interiors, and this one works decent enough. I just don't care for it, again I'm coming from a VW and these are the best interiors in the industry. I do think the seats could be better, but would be happy with the ones in the car now.
By 1949
on 04/29/12 18:36 PM (PDT)

Just read your comments with interest. I also live in SA, so it's good to see someone here who lives in the same climate. As you well know, our hot/humid climate can affect performance. Anyway, I plan on buying a new car in March of '13. I'm torn between the MS3 and the GTI W/MT. My daily driver is a Tundra, so I'm ready to add a car. My last car was a new '98 Prelude. I live alone, so no problems there. Based on your experience, how would you rate the GTI overall (Performance, reliability, build quality & VW cust. svc) Vs the MS3? Thanks.