2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 - Consumer Reviews

Touring 2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual - (14 reviews )
Just what I wanted
By rockinkuwait on 06/09/13 11:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I wanted a used Speed3, but ended up going new as there were only 2 used pre-owned Mazdaspeed3's in the state when I started car shopping. It has been everything I've wanted. Currently commuting to work and it even does that well (avg 28 mpg, and most is a little two lane highway where I have the power to pass in this). Lots of fun, no problems at all mechanically so far and 40 thousand miles into the car, I still smile every time I drive it. Only issue I had was wishing you could pick something other than summer only tires if you live in colorado, though I did manage on those through two winters...

2nd One I've Owned
By brentonlange on 12/08/12 18:28 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the 2nd Speed3 I have owned. The first one was a project car. This one will be a project car as well. The overall value is unbeatable. So what, the NAV screen is small...but you still have nav compared to other models. The price is amazing for a small sports car. So far I have not lost a redlight-to-redlight race yet against trucks, or other cars. What you may not know, this car is lighter than most and with 263HP stock, you can beat many people right off the line and keep your edge for the mile long run. Great car, will definatly buy another one unless Mazda screws it up (doubtful). I have bought three Mazda's in the past year, all have of them have been amazing!

Lasting Fun
By vnmn on 08/10/12 11:35 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After now owning the Speed3 since March I have come to find this little car to be a very good sports car as far as power delivery and over all athleticism goes, it just does everything it is supposed to no matter how hard you push it. I really look forward to driving it daily. The seats are a bit fugly and uncomfortable, those being my two largest complaints(MAZDA, GIVE US ALL BLACK LEATHER WITH POWER!).As far as the front grille topic all the new Mazda's have a grin so bare it. Torque steer on this Gen is not an issue, it actually makes this car more fun and I wouldn't want it without some. I drove a 2012 GTI yesterday and it seriously bored me, it really felt lethargic in comparison.

Wow. Incredible Buy.
By zoomerdan on 07/07/12 10:22 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just bought this car (July 2012) after doing lots of research on fun sporty cars on Edmunds. I needed passenger room, but wanted something fun to drive. There's only a few cars that fit that category. This happens to be the cheapest- and the best. No other car offers such speed, handling, technology (like bluetooth and Bose radio), solid design and build quality, in a multi-passenger vehicle. I simply love it. The closest competitor is at least 5K more money.

The Darkness has enveloped me
By rickibobbi on 07/03/12 01:02 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Just got my MS3 in black, I've put on a heftier rear motor/transmission mount and a heftier rear sway bar (for autocross), Strange sensation to have all that power and control (particularly with the mods) and for such a low price, the dealers can't sell them because of the manual transmission, I kid you not, I test drove one that had a dead battery, it was sitting in a back lot, covered in dust, surrounded by mazda3 automatics, quite forlorn, but I got a really great price on the car! An amazing driver's car, simply fun and well sorted. Couldn't recommend it more. You'll run out of courage before this car runs out of a capability.

Defintely "What Do You Drive"
By alfagtv630 on 06/12/12 20:27 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A car built for drivers, with little compromise. If you don't love to drive (and I don't mean tour), this is not the car for you. Congrats to Mazda for being willing to build a car like this knowing that it will be a low volume seller at best. Think a practical, budget Lotus, older 911, Alfa GTV6 (or maybe a 75 sedan or 164S), BMW Z3 coupe or E30 M3, Saab 9-3 Viggen or early 9000 turbo, Audi Quattro GT or a first-gen A-4... or a number of true Europe-only hot hatches (Ford Escort RS). Go look up an Alfa 146 GTA, maybe that is the best comparison! The styling has grown on me, in black, silver or now available pearl white tones it down a bit for more mature drivers.

First Mazda, or Japanese car for that matter.
By chriskojali on 04/19/12 07:28 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm a performance guy...I don't care about horsepower but driving dynamics mean everything to me. My last 10 cars have been several M3s, a couple Audis, and a GTI. The easy choice would've been another GTI and I would be quite content. But I took a chance on the Speed3 and I'm ecstatic I did. This car has excellent handling and the monster torque steer (hard to handle under hard acceleration) is kind of endearing...you know you need to pay attention when you press the GO! pedal. I'm not a fan of the interior, especially when compared to an Audi, but it works and is growing on me. The styling is a bit 'out there' but it's growing on me too. You won't see yourself coming down the road.

Zoom-Zoom It Is
By fastlane123 on 04/13/12 20:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned a 2004 Nissan 350Z Grand Touring model and from the experience of driving that car for 6 years, I can definitely say that this 2012 Mazdaspeed3 is nearly as excellent as the Z when it comes to cornering at high speed and 0-60 mph time; simply a superb machine. The best time I've ever gotten from this car when going from 0-60 mph was 5.4 sec at San Antonio Raceway, Texas. As a hatchback, 5 doors and contains 5 seats, by performance, it is not too far off from my Nissan 350Z with the time of 5.1 sec. I am very impressed how the turbo makes no lag and shows consistency throughout every hard push of the gas pedal. Just don't take my opinion alone, drive one for yourself & you'll see.

10,000 Miles In
By civitaresel on 02/23/12 19:40 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Cross shopped WRX, Ralliart, GTI. None offer as much equipment for the money. I've deemed third gear the yellow light gear as its the one to go to in order to blast from 35 ish to 65 or so. Merging is a joke, even in Philly where no one moves over (I'm a burgher), simply engage the yellow light gear and go. Constant 75 mph on Pa turnpike for 300 miles yields 28 mpg as calculated at the pump. Even in sixth you easily pass any car with vigor. Exhaust is very quiet at highway speeds. Seats are comfortable but if you're anything other than slim to medium weight (I'm 5'10 and 175 on a fat day) they will most likely be to form fitting for you. Overall, very pleased with the purchase

Can't beat it
By unlvrebels on 02/11/12 11:20 AM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had been doing research for a year and a half for my next car. I was going to choose one of the following three; VW GTI, Subaru WRX, MS3. I test drove each and everyone of them they all were great, but the MS3 truely stood above the rest. Power, Performance, Comfort, options standard, looks (the grill you get over shortly). I currently have 1500 miles on it and have loved every minute of it. Not a big fan of the city MPG, but it was defenately something to I expected, but what was unexpected was the great HWY MPG. I recently did a drive from Las Vegas to Phoenix which was roughly 400 miles. Did with only using 3/4 of the tank which gave me a whopping 32 MPG.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 in VA is:

$135 per month*