Love me Love me not
By garv214 on
2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I have had my Mazdaspeed 3 for 3 months and 3700 miles now and have noticed things I love and things that need improvement. The car handles very well, but may be a bit harsh for some. The interior is very nicely laid out (love the blue accent lighting). The exterior styling can take a bit getting used to. I bought mine in Black, so the "happy face" is not noticeable at all. I drive very conservatively so I have been averaging around 23-24 mpg with a 60-40 mix of city and highway driving. Overall a nice car and a great value, but Mazda needs to work on the clutch on these cars. My clutch is taking away from the fun of driving it, which is a big reason why people buy these cars.
Favorite Features
Excellent value for the money, leather interior, interior lighting, hatchback versatility, room for grown ups in the back. The tech package is a great value. Sure the Nav screen is tiny, but it is right where the driver needs it. Love the phone and radio controls on the steering wheel. I thought the "smart key" and start button would be a bit gimmicky, but I have really grown to appreciate them. The car handles very well and has a ton of power. Fuel economy isn't too bad, all things considered, but I am hoping to get my daily commute mileage closer to 25-26 mpg from 23-24 mpg.
Suggested Improvements
No temperature gauge (c'mon how hard could it have been to add this...) for that matter, how about an oil pressure gauge as well. Clutch is very binary. I have driven manual transmission cars since 1984 and have never had such a challenge getting used to a clutch before. I test drove 2 Mazdaspeeds and they both had this problem. Motortrend noted this same problem in their long term tester as well. If I lived in San Francisco, it would be a deal-breaker for me. The cruise control on mine sometimes gets confused after a long downhill followed by an uphill. The Bose stereo is just ok. It's better than the one in my Protege5 but nothing to write home to mom about in my opinion.