A fun jack of all trades
By maikell77 on
2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I have owned my speed3 for almost 2 years now. In that time I have put 54,000 miles on it. I can say that it's a fun car, It has a good amount of cargo space, and it roadtrips well. The fuel economy isn't bad, but the read out is a bit optimistic. I use the car for family roadtrips (500mi one way my wife and I), work (multiple 500 mi days per week), and even the ocasional track day. Currently at 77k and really nothing unexpected as far as maintence goes. Spirited public roads driving the speed3 is as much fun as the GTO and 540i M-sport I have owned previously. It does have understeer at the limit, and that does sap a bit of track day fun.
Favorite Features
The power! It will pin you back and put a grin on your face. The shifter is a bit knotchy but you know you're in gear. The handling is superb. It has great balance and a 9/10 is as much fun as more expensive cars.
Suggested Improvements
Stock tires do not last long at all. I switched to Continental DWS they last twice as long, are more quiet and soften the ride a bit. Stock front pads will turn your wheels black in a week. I switched to Hawk HPS and less dusting but just as good on the stopping power. Road noise/engine noise can be a bit annoying when the car is driven in the just get me home mode.