2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 - Consumer Reviews

2010 Mazdaspeed3 Consumer Reviews

Sport 2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual - (51 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Fun
By Chris

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had gone out looking for a fun but practical car and checked the entire class out. Ended up choosing the speed for functionality, 5 doors, hatchback, nice upscale inside, etc. My wife wasn't going to see me walk away in a 2 seat sports car. There's very little I don't like about this car, the digital turbo gauge, lack of a temp gauge, low shift points (power peters out past 5500 RPM or so and I came from a Vtec). But the interior looks great, and is roomy for me (6'2" tall). I get decent gas mileage with it, somewhere around 23 or so overall (though the trip computer keeps telling me I get 27), and while I am still not too fond of the smile, it is growing on me.

Favorite Features

bluetooth connectivity, power power power, handling, responsive steering, quick turbo spool up, nicely laid out interior, roomy for a smaller car

Suggested Improvements

Temp gauge needed, mechanical turbo gauge would be nice, better high rpm power, kinda bright and distracting at night.

Joy to Own
By DMCliff

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased as a replacement to my 2003 Nissan Sentra Spec V. While this car is a downgrade in low end torque and gas mileage (Was getting 31 mpg now getting 24 mpg) the fun factor and refinement is miles ahead. The space in the back seat is also a lot nicer. Traded up because of a baby seat and the Speed allows a person to sit in front or behind me with a child in the rear passenger side. Hatch allows plenty of room for stroller and diaper bags. Looked at other hatch backs but none compared as far as fun, price, and space. I went with the tech package and love the push button start. The Navigation system is average, but nice for an integrated unit.

Favorite Features

Turbo in the high end of rpm band. Space in back seat and hatch. Push button start with the tech package.

Suggested Improvements

Glove box could have less of a rake. Extends quite a ways in the passenger compartment. Temp gauge would be nice. The ability to choose different color interior colors for both seats and LED lighting would be nice.

All fun and no issues
By Driving can be fun

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A fun car, with performance and an appealing appearance, has always been important to me. Sometimes there have been limitations that you live with: expensive maintenance (German) ,little storage (Corvette, Miata, 911), low technology (GTO). No more! A dream to drive with some small challenge with torque steer in first and second. A small price to pay for the Zoom-Zoom. Carries my golf clubs without lowering the rear seats and a 47" LCD HDTV, still in the box, with the seats down. Rear passengers have real seats and leg room.

Favorite Features

6-speed transmission, performance, exterior lines, storage, problem free, I still can't believe the price!

Suggested Improvements

digital mph LCD just above the turbo meter

Very Impressed
By JailhouseMD

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned a Civic SI. It rides smoother and more powerful. I test drove the GTI. I agree not as refined, but very close and again way more fun to drive. Gas mileage on the freeway without a lead foot should be around 30 miles/gallon. All this and for less than 23K. I also picked up an extended warranty 5yrs/100K which is included in the price above. Overall best value hands down. Try get this kind of deal with the civic, gti, wrx. You must have made the deal with a gun.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, Power, Bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

HID lights, Daytime running lights.

Performance per dollar ratio!
By Dirk

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Surprising ride, I came from a BMW M3 that was starting to kill me repair wise. Went and tested this 2010 MS3 and instantly loved...especially the price. Car does everything I need and more. Love the new body style for 2010. Storage is nice, can place my roadie cycle in the hatch. Mazda is willing to deal if you have patience, get the 10/100K warranty from Mazda in your deal - if only BMW would have offered that! I'm an older driver but, hey, you're only as young as the car you drive! LOL

Favorite Features

Turbo, 6 speed, tech package. Easy to maintain in my garage. Price, price, price!!!

Suggested Improvements

Put the intercooler in the front and make the scoop for intake. Other than that the car seems well put together for the price.

Too Good To Be True
By Speed Demon

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After owning several bona fide "sports cars" (BMW M Coupe, 2 M Roadsters & Porsche 911), I can honestly say I am happier with my MS 3 than any other sports car I have ever owned. I dispute the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times I have read about. Living in Colorado at over 5500 feet I am still able to pull sub-5 second 0-60 and sub-14 second 1/4 mile times. As with most of these ratings, the driver has as much to do with the times as the car. I have noticed torque steer like everyone else, but I wouldn't call it bothersome. The Tech Package is worth every penny. Can't wait for the tuner parts to arrive at the dealership. I was able to buy the MS 3 with 7 Yr./75K bumper to bumper wty. for 26K.

Favorite Features

Motor, handling, interior features and looks.

Suggested Improvements

Temperature gauge. Just a suggestion to those who don't care for the looks of the front end of the car: don't buy it if you don't like looking at it!

2010 Speed vs. GTI
By Old Yeller

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Test drove both 2 days ago, bought the Speed3. Speed3 throws you back in your seat, wilder. GTI smoother. Speed3 turbo lag noticeably shorter than GTI. Speed3 exhaust gets pleasingly throaty when pushing acceleration. VW exterior looks more classic with very cool circular wheel cutouts. Speed3 exterior more futuristic/controversial. Speed3 wheels cheaper looking. IMHO, Speed3's interior is better (partial leather seats). Not a fan of the GTI plaid. GTI felt more cramped. Difficult to see front lines of car from GTI. Mazdas more reliable. Base Speed3 is 22K plus delivery, tax, title, tags, etc. GTI has special 1.9% financing. Both great cars. Test drive and choose for yourself

Favorite Features

Speed3 is an incredibly FUN sports car at a reasonable price. Great combination of speed, handling, braking. No complaints driving it on highway, parkway, or city (DC).

Suggested Improvements

More exterior color options.

I'm Grinnin
By Bigmac

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had the car a little over two months and nearly 3,000 miles. The car had all the prerequisites I wanted. Fun to drive, safe, reliable (hopefully) and practical. I live in West Virginia with an abundance of mountain roads. The car is blast to drive. There is a learning curve to handle the torque steer and notchy gearbox, plus the clutch is tricky to modulate. The highway ride is not too noisy or rough for my tastes. Love the car.

Favorite Features

Without a doubt the handling. The car is flat in corners. With judicious touch on the throttle it shoots out of turns. Much fun.

Suggested Improvements

Too much torque steer, either reduce the power and offer all-wheel drive. Clutch is a bit touchy and could provide better feel Gearbox is a bit notchy and easy to miss 3rd gear. No iPod integration, that would be great.

Awesme ride
By James

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had the car for about a month. I have about 2k fun miles on this car. The car looks good and is a blast to drive. The car's handling is excellent. It hooks up well on the curvy roads. I use this car as my daily commuter and put about 140 miles a day round trip. I'm totally happy with this car. I have the tech package and would recommend it. There is some carbon build up on the tail pipe and some of it ends up in the back hatch as noted on a previous post. Not an issue. A good coat of wax will protect your paint and make it easy to clean off. The best bang for your buck!!

Favorite Features

Tech package - streaming Slacker radio from my Blackberry through bluetooth! Engine POWER! Interior layout.

Suggested Improvements

HID lights, sunroof, power seats, and a stiffer/better rear engine mounts. Have a shorter shift. I'm being way too picky. Easy upgrades except for sunroof and power seats.

How do they do it?
By willdialitin

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

That is the question. How does Mazda build and sale a car for under $25000 with all the bells and whistles, plus major performance and driveability. The Mazdaspeed 3 is my first Mazda and I am totally thrilled with this purchase. Hands free and voice activated bluetooth for phone and music. Navigation that is more than able, Bose 10 speaker audio, 6 disc in dash changer, Sirius satellite radio all placed for perfect ergonomics. Dual climate control, power windows and locks and a serious keyless entry. I haven't used an actual key in nearly four months. It has two charging ports, auxiliary jack, vanity mirrors with lights, accent lighting on the doors and interior roof.

Favorite Features

263 HP combined with 280ft. lbs. of torque, all wrapped tightly up in a 2.3liter turbocharged 4 cylinder. By far the best bang for your buck vehicle on the road!

Suggested Improvements

All-wheel drive would be nice. Biggest complaint is that there is no temperature gauge.