2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 - Consumer Reviews

Sport 2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual - (51 reviews )
You'll forget about that weird grille
By xyz on 10/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

When you drive this car because your own grin and the feel of this car will remind you why you like to drive. 1) yes, the previous speed3's were better looking, but much harsher. 2) the pull from the turbo is great from 3500 to 5500 rpm. 3) torque steer exists, but not much more than a maxima's, and can truly add to the fun. 4) well put-together, with great shifting, suspension and steering! Had a Volvo v70r (300 hp turbo) that was super-clunky, expensive, and both raw and numb in comparison. 5) hatchback design is very useful. In conclusion, does this middle-aged guy look a little unconventional driving such a silly looking car? Probably, but what fun, utility, economy, reliability and fun!

Practical Performance Bargain
By Kevin on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Nothing from me that contradicts the other positive reviews. I've driven my car for a few months now, and I have to remind myself of how inexpensive this car is; great handling, powerful engine, comfortable interior with loads of standard features, practical and reliable -- all for ~$23K! When I consider how aggressive the exterior styling is, I'm really surprised at how comfortable and civilized the car is. As a middle-aged guy, I tend to feel a bit self- conscious due to the car's styling, but it just drives SO well! Be advised that if you live in an area that gets snow, you should plan on buying a set of snow tires for winter since this car is fitted with summer performance tires.

even better than i was hoping
By Zak on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

bought an 05 3s and loved it, i test drove the speed 3 one day while mine was having work done, and i was sold. its just crazy fast, too much fun, other than the little bit of turbo lag and torque steer which is to be expected, its amazing. the best performing car you can get for under 25k

No more GTI's
By Tim K on 08/06/10 13:56 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had many GTI's and recently a 3 series BMW, got tired of the endless maintenance issues and awful customer service by both VW and BMW. My wife has had a Mazda 3 for 6 years and I finally noticed how it was just so reliable and fun. Tested a Speed 3 and realized it was time to buy one. A very good car that trounces the VW and BMW. I was actually treated like a human by Mazda. Kudos to Mazda, learn some customer service and build reliable cars to VW and BMW.

It Just Grows on Ya!
By Will L. on 07/26/10 14:01 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned only Taurus SHO's for the past 17 years - all manuals. My last one just turned 190k as I went researching for a honorable replacement. It surely wouldn't be the new SHO as it was released w/o a stick and way too much $$$. As I went to different review and "best of" sites the MS3 was always ending up in the top two spots. Anyway ended up test driving the WRX (not as refined inside + more $) and the GTI (more $ and slower than the MS3). Since I have owned it (the MS3) I have to admit it just gets better every time I drive it - even with that goofy smile in the front. I did have to get used to a turbocharged car as far as shift points and turbo lag but all are quite manageable.

Simply Awesome!
By Gary on 07/01/10 14:46 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been researching this car since spring of 09 and just last week bought one...I have been smiling ever since! The engine is AWESOME. The appearance of the speed3 is certainly polarizing and it seems that you either love it or hate it. The pictures simply DO NOT do it justice, you have to see it in person. The acceleration is great, handling is crisp, stick takes getting used to but no problem and the brake feel is great. The tech package is worth it, GPS while small is still good, Bose system is not quite aftermarket quality but will please most people, bluetooth is cool, seats are comfortable and the space inside is nice. If you want bang for your buck...look no further! Zoom-Zoom!

Amazingly fun, but a bit thirsty
By Nick K on 06/01/10 10:05 AM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Having had the car for almost two months now, I can say that overall I'm very, very happy with it. Turning is crisp and the car stays flat even with sudden direction changes. The trans in this car certainly isn't on par with any Honda or even modern VW I've ever driving. Shifting takes some effort and missing the 2-3 shift is fairly easy by hitting the 1-3 gate. However, the limited slip is fantastic for tightening up the car in a corner. Turbo lag is present, but not horrible. The stability control sometimes intervenes without letting you know, making you think the lag is worse than it is. Overall, an excellent car and if performance is more important to you, blows the GTI away.

I love my Mazdaspeed3!
By Katelyn66 on 05/24/10 08:52 AM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

If I could go back I would buy it all over again. This is a very responsive & quick car with lots of features to make your ride & needs feel beyond met. I am still finding new features that make my ride exciting, I enjoy the blue tooth I can listen to my Iphone wireless & answer calls while shifting hands free. The Bose system is awesome, my previous car had subs & I don't miss them at all. The blue lights underneath the dash and on the stick are a fun feature for a night drive out on the town. I feel safe in this car without the feel of being in a mini van. The stock dual exhaust sounds great, like a race car. This is definitely a luxury car that is affordable and fun to drive. Zoom zoom!

Extreme bang for your buck!
By Mikey6273 on 05/20/10 17:24 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned the car for about 3 weeks now and it is an absolute pleasure to drive. I was planning on waiting for the new STi, however I'm glad I decided on the MS3 for both practicality and affordability. Plenty fast for a mid-thirty year old, gas mileage is a solid 26 mpg (I do a lot of city driving), and it handles like it's on rails through the curves. Motor Trend just did a comparison between the MS3, the wrx, gti and ralliart, and out of all of them, this is the "point and shoot racer" that simply feels much more "dialed in". Believe me, they're spot on. I simply can't stop grinning.

Almost Perfect
By dbaker on 05/17/10 16:35 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

It's a great all around car for the price. Good power with slight turbo lag and torque steer. Once the power is there, hang on! Interior features are awesome for the price. Bose audio sounds rich but the in dash navigation is about the same quality as if you had bought a $50 Garmin, but still a nice feature. Love it or hate it, the front grille grows on you after a while. Combining the power of the car coupled with the price/power and features, it's a really good deal.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 in WA is:

$181 per month*