2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 - Consumer Reviews

2010 Mazdaspeed3 Consumer Reviews

Sport 2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual - (51 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

A fun jack of all trades
By maikell77

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my speed3 for almost 2 years now. In that time I have put 54,000 miles on it. I can say that it's a fun car, It has a good amount of cargo space, and it roadtrips well. The fuel economy isn't bad, but the read out is a bit optimistic. I use the car for family roadtrips (500mi one way my wife and I), work (multiple 500 mi days per week), and even the ocasional track day. Currently at 77k and really nothing unexpected as far as maintence goes. Spirited public roads driving the speed3 is as much fun as the GTO and 540i M-sport I have owned previously. It does have understeer at the limit, and that does sap a bit of track day fun.

Favorite Features

The power! It will pin you back and put a grin on your face. The shifter is a bit knotchy but you know you're in gear. The handling is superb. It has great balance and a 9/10 is as much fun as more expensive cars.

Suggested Improvements

Stock tires do not last long at all. I switched to Continental DWS they last twice as long, are more quiet and soften the ride a bit. Stock front pads will turn your wheels black in a week. I switched to Hawk HPS and less dusting but just as good on the stopping power. Road noise/engine noise can be a bit annoying when the car is driven in the just get me home mode.

Don't Hesitate, it has everything you want.
By primetime8032

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

To start off, I've only owned this car for 4 days now. I was a very proud rx8 owner and loved every bit of it, except for the gas mileage. This car, has everything that you want. Perfect handling, the right amount of power, it's very practical and to be honest, economical. I know people will be like "economical? it only gets 18mpg!" Yeah, when you're flooring it everywhere. When I drove home from the dealership I was about 50 miles away from home. I drove it like a grandma and averaged 34mpg. So if you really want to economical, this car can definitely do it. I can't talk on the reliability as I just got the car, but I still rated it a 5 because I love everything about this car.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

Didn't like the front grill at first, but I got it in black so it's not very noticeable. But they shouldn't of made the 'happy' face. Other than that this car is perfect.

Fantastic car if you have smooth roads
By slow_jim

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I owned this car for about a year and had absolutely no issues with it. Added on a couple of goodies (Corksport intake and cat delete, Cobb Accessport) which significantly increased the power without sacrificing MPG or driveability. For the $$ the MS3 really is the performance bargain of the century. Great build quality and reliability, handling, power, it's all there. Don't listen to the weenies who complain about torque steer, it's really not bad or difficult to control. Wheels spinning? STOP PUSHING THE GAS PEDAL. It's not complicated. The only reason I got rid of the car was the ride comfort. We have horrible roads in Ohio with giant potholes and lots of speed bumps so it was just a pain

Favorite Features

Plenty of space with the seats folded down. I have a 86lb golden retriever and he had more than enough room, even with just one of the seats folded. Standard stereo sounds awesome, the Bose upgrade is a waste of money. The nav isn't worth it either. Stick with the base model. Love the torque and turbo spool-up sound after installing an intake (not an easy installation though).

Suggested Improvements

Limited aftermarket, ride comfort on rough roads. Not really enough space in the back seat for kids or car seats. 18" tires are expensive and ride VERY firm

Work of art!
By rustysurfsa

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my Speed 3 w/ tech package after driving my girlfriends new Mazda 3 S. After driving her car I knew a Mazda would be my next purchase. These cars are amazing! They fly around the corners with ease! I not talking about cornering around a curb at 30 mph, Iím talking sideways at 60-70 mph. These things hold a line so well itís like youíre on rail! The best thing about going around a corner in my Speed 3 is that itís absolutely flat while doing it. Iím in love! Power is a huge + this thing is a rocket ship!! Fuel economy is great too. I averaged 28 mpg on my last tank. Only thing I would complain about is thereís a small amount of torque steer, but that adds to the fun. Great job MAZDA!

Favorite Features

Handling!! Power!!! Interior and Exterior Styling! Transmission Navigation Push button start No keys required!

Suggested Improvements

I would improve the motor mounts or at least put a shock absorber on the motor to reduce all that torque while shifting. I'm going to install the ingalls shock soon, I hear it eliminates all of that shutter.

34,000 happy miles!
By blackms3

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Owned this baby for 34,000 miles now! First off, this is a really fun car to own. I have three kids (9yrs and 6yr twins) and they fit with no problem in this car (even with boosters). Never get tired of the power this car makes in every gear, passes without downshifting. Fuel eco is not exceptional, but coming out of a 12mpg truck I've at least doubled it. Have to use premium fuel, runs like hell on lower octane fuel. If you live in an area that gets snow you will need a set of winter tires, I don't care how great a driver you think you are, the performance tires on this car are outright dangerous when temps fall in the 30's. All in all I would highly recommend this to anyone!

Favorite Features

POWER! Lets be honest, you are buying this because its a fun car to drive. My wife has a yukon denali with a 6.2 liter and all the bells and whistles, but I would rather be driving my mazda. Interior is 2010 models are lightyears beyond previous models. Not a nice as the GTI's, but the performance will more than make up for that. I rarely see other cars on the road that I wish I owned. This car handles like its on rails, you can slam it into tight turns and it just goes...no body roll or skitishness. Roomy...for a little car there is tons of roam in this thing for kids, groceries, golf bags, luggage...whatever. Compare to similar models and you'll see. The nav screen is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

Ok, this car isn't perfect...these items are annoying but minor. Bose should be embarrased their name is on this radio. The Bose in GMC is 100 times better. Tires produce a lot of road noise (my winter ones are much quieter). Clutch lets out the at the last 10% of throw...again, annoying but fine. Have a squeak around the instrument pod, which is a common complaint. Some complain of torque steer, to me it a reminder that the turbo is working it's magic. One reviewer said driving this car hard is a bit like riding a bull, I couldn't agree more...and that never gets old! You'll need ramps for oil changes...not uncommon for a low sitting car. Give us all the power in first two gears!!

Love me Love me not
By garv214

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had my Mazdaspeed 3 for 3 months and 3700 miles now and have noticed things I love and things that need improvement. The car handles very well, but may be a bit harsh for some. The interior is very nicely laid out (love the blue accent lighting). The exterior styling can take a bit getting used to. I bought mine in Black, so the "happy face" is not noticeable at all. I drive very conservatively so I have been averaging around 23-24 mpg with a 60-40 mix of city and highway driving. Overall a nice car and a great value, but Mazda needs to work on the clutch on these cars. My clutch is taking away from the fun of driving it, which is a big reason why people buy these cars.

Favorite Features

Excellent value for the money, leather interior, interior lighting, hatchback versatility, room for grown ups in the back. The tech package is a great value. Sure the Nav screen is tiny, but it is right where the driver needs it. Love the phone and radio controls on the steering wheel. I thought the "smart key" and start button would be a bit gimmicky, but I have really grown to appreciate them. The car handles very well and has a ton of power. Fuel economy isn't too bad, all things considered, but I am hoping to get my daily commute mileage closer to 25-26 mpg from 23-24 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

No temperature gauge (c'mon how hard could it have been to add this...) for that matter, how about an oil pressure gauge as well. Clutch is very binary. I have driven manual transmission cars since 1984 and have never had such a challenge getting used to a clutch before. I test drove 2 Mazdaspeeds and they both had this problem. Motortrend noted this same problem in their long term tester as well. If I lived in San Francisco, it would be a deal-breaker for me. The cruise control on mine sometimes gets confused after a long downhill followed by an uphill. The Bose stereo is just ok. It's better than the one in my Protege5 but nothing to write home to mom about in my opinion.

ZUM ZUM
By zum_zum

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

700 Letters can't do this little red rocket justice but I'll try! It handles like it's on proverbial rails. The steering is so tight it's easy to oversteer for the first few trips out. The ride is as it should be fun and tight. You do feel and hear the road more than a lot of cars, but that's the way things are when you're riding in a Road Race car suspension. This Zoom Zoom straightens out the highway with flat corners and extremely tight steering. The engine revs like a sewing machine but not like Grandmas!! The Turbo brings it to life like no 4 cylinder I've ever driven. RPMs are quick and effortless. The interior is comfortable with everything within reach and it seats "5"

Favorite Features

The Steering, handling, power, looks, comfort, And the point blank fun Factor It's all here in this package. The interior is very comfortable, You can make long trips without your back hurting. Plus you can seat five without cramping any one of them.The shifter,GPS,Radio,AC and heater controls are easily within reach. Radio controls are on the steering wheel as is the Blue tooth phone controls Just a left thumb movement answers and makes calls and controls radio volume. The right thumb controls GPS screen and information center. Gauges are large and easy to read. Now, how about 10 BOSE speakers with 244 watt factory installed amp.. Yes, I love my Zum Zum!

Suggested Improvements

#1.More H.P. I would like to see 320 or so horses out of this little car. #2. It should come factory with a road track to keep it feeling good! #3. It should come factory with a Road Track to keep me feeling great! lol #4. A factory installed Radar Detector. #5. There should be a adrenaline warning on the glove box door. Seriously, I can't think of anything you would want that is not at least Offered with the ZOOM ZOOM "Speed 3" except my first item, More Horsepower.

Most affordable fun
By crh_usa

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I hesitated for a long time between the more reasonable Civic Si, the Golf GTI and the speed. The strong financial incentives on the Mazda 2010 made it an easier decision. This car is so much fun to drive. Without the turbo on, it is a peppy economical car. With the turbo on, you wake up the beast.

Favorite Features

It is super well equipped, including Bluetooth, nice computer. But the power of the car is just incredible.

Suggested Improvements

little better seats desired. Also the tech package is a hodgepodge of non related features. Stereo, Navigation, Sat radio, Wireless. Not interested in paying for most of them.

First 400 miles
By REV

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

26 mpg after the first 400 miles. Yes I am babying it except for attacking the winding uphill winding roads where I let it loose. Handling is incredible. Brakes are great. Torque steer? I've felt more torque pull from a 9 lb miniature poodle. Keep the engine in the right power band 3k rpm - 5k rpm and you don't have to worry about torque steer. Looks? Yes it is goofy. Especially at first. Most guys buy an expensive car because they look good in it. Me? I buy an ugly car, because next to it I look really good. Got mine in black and must say that it has a look that really grows on you. 263 ponies with a 4clynder getting 26mgp? Are you kidding me? Bought mine for much less than invoice. Great

Favorite Features

Blue tooth integration with iphone. Didn't even realize the car had it when I bought it. MPG and turbo readouts help me keep the car in the right power band to maximize mileage and Turbo brings the power when I need it w/o turbo lag. Semi-leather interior a nice touch. Steering wheel feels good.

Suggested Improvements

Close ratio transmission makes it easy to miss shift and end up in the wrong gear. transmission refuses to downshift until it is ready. Very frustrating for spirited driving. Add a gear indicator light on the dash. Back of car collects tons of dust on dirt roads. Dukes of Hazzard not happy. Glove box too small

Love, love, love this car
By Destin

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've wanted a Mazda Speed 3 for about 2 years and finally my dream came true. It is everything I thought it would be and more. It is FAST, comfortable and has many features you wouldn't expect for a car in this price range. The handling is second to none!

Favorite Features

Everything -- this car is a dream to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic lights