2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Sport 2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual - (51 reviews )
A fun jack of all trades
By maikell77 on 01/15/13 11:43 AM (PST)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my speed3 for almost 2 years now. In that time I have put 54,000 miles on it. I can say that it's a fun car, It has a good amount of cargo space, and it roadtrips well. The fuel economy isn't bad, but the read out is a bit optimistic. I use the car for family roadtrips (500mi one way my wife and I), work (multiple 500 mi days per week), and even the ocasional track day. Currently at 77k and really nothing unexpected as far as maintence goes. Spirited public roads driving the speed3 is as much fun as the GTO and 540i M-sport I have owned previously. It does have understeer at the limit, and that does sap a bit of track day fun.

Don't Hesitate, it has everything you want.
By primetime8032 on 09/10/12 08:01 AM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

To start off, I've only owned this car for 4 days now. I was a very proud rx8 owner and loved every bit of it, except for the gas mileage. This car, has everything that you want. Perfect handling, the right amount of power, it's very practical and to be honest, economical. I know people will be like "economical? it only gets 18mpg!" Yeah, when you're flooring it everywhere. When I drove home from the dealership I was about 50 miles away from home. I drove it like a grandma and averaged 34mpg. So if you really want to economical, this car can definitely do it. I can't talk on the reliability as I just got the car, but I still rated it a 5 because I love everything about this car.

Fantastic car if you have smooth roads
By slow_jim on 08/28/12 10:52 AM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I owned this car for about a year and had absolutely no issues with it. Added on a couple of goodies (Corksport intake and cat delete, Cobb Accessport) which significantly increased the power without sacrificing MPG or driveability. For the $$ the MS3 really is the performance bargain of the century. Great build quality and reliability, handling, power, it's all there. Don't listen to the weenies who complain about torque steer, it's really not bad or difficult to control. Wheels spinning? STOP PUSHING THE GAS PEDAL. It's not complicated. The only reason I got rid of the car was the ride comfort. We have horrible roads in Ohio with giant potholes and lots of speed bumps so it was just a pain

Work of art!
By rustysurfsa on 06/08/12 11:32 AM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my Speed 3 w/ tech package after driving my girlfriends new Mazda 3 S. After driving her car I knew a Mazda would be my next purchase. These cars are amazing! They fly around the corners with ease! I not talking about cornering around a curb at 30 mph, I’m talking sideways at 60-70 mph. These things hold a line so well it’s like you’re on rail! The best thing about going around a corner in my Speed 3 is that it’s absolutely flat while doing it. I’m in love! Power is a huge + this thing is a rocket ship!! Fuel economy is great too. I averaged 28 mpg on my last tank. Only thing I would complain about is there’s a small amount of torque steer, but that adds to the fun. Great job MAZDA!

34,000 happy miles!
By blackms3 on 12/29/11 05:25 AM (PST)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Owned this baby for 34,000 miles now! First off, this is a really fun car to own. I have three kids (9yrs and 6yr twins) and they fit with no problem in this car (even with boosters). Never get tired of the power this car makes in every gear, passes without downshifting. Fuel eco is not exceptional, but coming out of a 12mpg truck I've at least doubled it. Have to use premium fuel, runs like hell on lower octane fuel. If you live in an area that gets snow you will need a set of winter tires, I don't care how great a driver you think you are, the performance tires on this car are outright dangerous when temps fall in the 30's. All in all I would highly recommend this to anyone!

Love me Love me not
By garv214 on 03/29/11 14:01 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had my Mazdaspeed 3 for 3 months and 3700 miles now and have noticed things I love and things that need improvement. The car handles very well, but may be a bit harsh for some. The interior is very nicely laid out (love the blue accent lighting). The exterior styling can take a bit getting used to. I bought mine in Black, so the "happy face" is not noticeable at all. I drive very conservatively so I have been averaging around 23-24 mpg with a 60-40 mix of city and highway driving. Overall a nice car and a great value, but Mazda needs to work on the clutch on these cars. My clutch is taking away from the fun of driving it, which is a big reason why people buy these cars.

ZUM ZUM
By zum_zum on 01/26/11 22:59 PM (PST)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

700 Letters can't do this little red rocket justice but I'll try! It handles like it's on proverbial rails. The steering is so tight it's easy to oversteer for the first few trips out. The ride is as it should be fun and tight. You do feel and hear the road more than a lot of cars, but that's the way things are when you're riding in a Road Race car suspension. This Zoom Zoom straightens out the highway with flat corners and extremely tight steering. The engine revs like a sewing machine but not like Grandmas!! The Turbo brings it to life like no 4 cylinder I've ever driven. RPMs are quick and effortless. The interior is comfortable with everything within reach and it seats "5"

Most affordable fun
By crh_usa on 11/25/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I hesitated for a long time between the more reasonable Civic Si, the Golf GTI and the speed. The strong financial incentives on the Mazda 2010 made it an easier decision. This car is so much fun to drive. Without the turbo on, it is a peppy economical car. With the turbo on, you wake up the beast.

First 400 miles
By REV on 11/20/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

26 mpg after the first 400 miles. Yes I am babying it except for attacking the winding uphill winding roads where I let it loose. Handling is incredible. Brakes are great. Torque steer? I've felt more torque pull from a 9 lb miniature poodle. Keep the engine in the right power band 3k rpm - 5k rpm and you don't have to worry about torque steer. Looks? Yes it is goofy. Especially at first. Most guys buy an expensive car because they look good in it. Me? I buy an ugly car, because next to it I look really good. Got mine in black and must say that it has a look that really grows on you. 263 ponies with a 4clynder getting 26mgp? Are you kidding me? Bought mine for much less than invoice. Great

Love, love, love this car
By Destin on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've wanted a Mazda Speed 3 for about 2 years and finally my dream came true. It is everything I thought it would be and more. It is FAST, comfortable and has many features you wouldn't expect for a car in this price range. The handling is second to none!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Hatchback in VA is:

$146 per month*