2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Consumer Review: The chicanes are now in season

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

The chicanes are now in season!
By Mazda Mike on

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After all my indecision between which sport compact to buy, I have to say that once I drove the MSP, it was over. I had fallen in love. I also had a great ex-racer sales rep. that let me take it through its paces on the twisty roads nearby. The MSP was the model of stability, even as I pressed it into a hard drift in a decreasing-radius left hander. I have now raced this car in SCCA events three times; beating out Lexus IS300 after Nissan Spec V after Ford Focus SVT. With some Kumho race tires and some small mods, I plan on taking my Mazdaspeed to SCCA Stock-Class Nationals!

Twin trapizoidal-link suspension, re-valved Tokicos at the corners, crisp clutch and shifting linkage, and let's be honest... it's a sexy lady'!

Summer in Phoenix + small a/c compressor = irritability. And, even though I'm aware that the transmission can't handle much more turbo, dialing up the T-25 to 11psi or so couldn't hurt. Could it?