2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Consumer Review: Finally

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan - Consumer Review

Finally
By Echo4HotelUSMC on

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was finally able to get my hands on one of these machines after trying to find one since 2003. Since owning her from 42k, I've found out that her motor was replaced by Mazda @ 22k and the turbo had been replaced 3 times... wow! Repairs I've had to get done are small things. There was some oil getting into the plastic tubing? from the intercooler to the turbo, my rear stablizer bar needed new bushings and the subwoofer blew. My only gripe is that Mazda took the easy way out with this one. They simply attached a turbo to their 2.0 motor and then didnt take the time to tune it properly. The MSP runs very rich. It needs a turbo timer, a blow off valve, an a2f ratio gauge and real bucket seats.

The rims look great on my car because of its color (titanium). They could be an inch bigger though. I like the visual design of the interior and the short shifter, but I have to drive with gloves. Its either too hot or too cold to hold depending on the season (it's metal).

You spool up to 3.5 rpm before the boost kicks in. That's not good for highway driving. Your fuel economy suffers when you have to downshift before passing someone. No BOV so no swoosh when releasing pressure. It goes right back into the system, thus the turbo spins more than needed, weakening it.