2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Protege model:
Turning Heads
By Skinny on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just purchased the titanium gray Mazdaspeed Protege and I am in love. It turns heads and no one seems to know what it is (The yellow is just too over- the-top looking). I'm new to a 5-speed and this clutch and transmission are treating my virgin left foot wonderfully. The sounds system is amazing! If you want a sporty but roomy car that'll have everyone looking...buy this!!! Don't be one of the gazillion Civic owners.

fun car
By pro driver on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

this car has some seriouse handling. with 170hp, it is not too fast nor too slow and is a very fun car to drive in the city. but, if you start punching on the gas alot, expect to visit the gas station a lot. overall, this is a quality car and is a great car for $21,000 which is worth it. test drive one!

sweet smoothe and sleek
By Eric m on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is sweet smoothe and sleek.... in other words...... perfect but still needs a little more power

Mazda Promformance
By Kevin Parrish on 07/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I farbrikate cars for a livin and Mazdas are some of the cheapest proformance cars out there. If it is the Miata to the Rx-8(which is nice)I found the Mazdaspeed Protege is one of the nicest compact proformance car for your money. The RX-8 may be better and roomy for a 4dr. Coupe????? But the Protege is a lot cheaper (over 7,000)I fabracated 7 Mazdas know and i think there fine the way they are. The only thin that bothers me is that ford makes them. I am a Chevy man not a wussy Ford guy with a f-150 Lightning. The protege has a suprisinly good handling and great aceleration. If u read my review please go with the MazdaSpeed Protege or the RX-8.

Hit the Twisties
By Ilan on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The induvidual pieces of this vehicle are not overwhelming, but when put together, this vehicle is incredible to drive. The steering feel, and complete balance and composure through the twisties brings the biggest grin on my face. And what a deal. At a bit over 20k this car kicks ass. I'll leave an rsx, 330i, is300, in my dust on straits, and loose a srt-4, and wrx behind in the twisties. I only wish I didn't live so close to some of the best driving roads in the country...my front tires are going quickly (love the warranty).

The chicanes are now in season!
By Mazda Mike on 06/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After all my indecision between which sport compact to buy, I have to say that once I drove the MSP, it was over. I had fallen in love. I also had a great ex-racer sales rep. that let me take it through its paces on the twisty roads nearby. The MSP was the model of stability, even as I pressed it into a hard drift in a decreasing-radius left hander. I have now raced this car in SCCA events three times; beating out Lexus IS300 after Nissan Spec V after Ford Focus SVT. With some Kumho race tires and some small mods, I plan on taking my Mazdaspeed to SCCA Stock-Class Nationals!

Worth the Wait!
By ajputz on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

In my 26 years of life, I have owned 6 new cars (4 Hondas, a Mazda MP3, and now Mazdaspeed). None of them compare to the Mazdaspeed! The Mazdaspeed is the best bang for the buck out there. I no longer have to buy a Honda and modify it to get what I want. The extra HP is great, but with the handling capabilities of the car, it could still use even more. The MP3 player is ideal for the long trips, and the bass makes sure everyone stays awake! To bad they only made 250 in Canada, as this car puts a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel. It was worth the 8 months I waited from time of purchase to delivery!

Great Drivers Car
By VTUHwang on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Owned my MPS for roughly three weeks, and it is an absolute blast to drive. It is quicker than most cars excluding SRT-4, WRX, EVO, etc. but it has handled every corner I have thrown at it with ease so far. No sliding, schreeching, or unpredicted behavior. This is a car for the person who wants to go fast everywhere, not just light to light. I would recommend the SRT-4 if you just want 0-60 at the same price.

Alternative to the Typical Sports Car
By Feakhelek on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The MazdaSpeed Protege defies categories and definitions. Ultimately the only way to decide if the MazdaSpeed Protege is right for you is to experience it; I suggest multiple test drives. There are simply too many specific upgrades to take in at once.

MazdaSpeed Protege
By acpautz on 05/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my car for about three weeks now and I absolutely love it!! You just press on the gas and it goes. I love the interior and the system rocks. Now I just have to buy a turbo timer so I don't have to wait 30 seconds before I turn it off.